cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Anything homemade.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a homemade airseeder I use.  I was wondering if anyone has made machinery instead of buying it.  Like to see some pictures if you did.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: Anything homemade.

What is this, everyone buys everything.  No one can make a sandwich even.  Come on you guys are not that dumb.

0 Kudos
James22
Senior Contributor

Time constraints, and if not doing the "necessary" things I'd rather pursue other pleasures.  This attitude is also reflected by never power washing and waxing farm equipment.  Already too much other more important stuff requires attention/labor.  So although don't tolerate mud or dented-up trashy looking equipment, I'm still unwilling to spend hours so that everything is so gleaming/sparkling clean that you can see them a mile away.  Also being older I'm not willing to make the capital investment in a shop/tools which would make it a more pleasurable experience.  Therefore if I can purchase a reasonably priced item which will do the job, that is the chosen path.  I have made a single shank subsoiler to shear off perimeter tree roots which were sapping crops and modified the JD 335 disk into a vertical tillage tool.  Also constructed depth control device for both sides of the Yetter coulter cart and fabricated drill seed hopper floor inserts that channel seed to the metering units preventing seed hang-up.  Could list a bunch more modifications that have done, but nothing nearly as extensive as building a machine from scratch and therefore would never claim to have something "homemade".   Had an uncle that liked to tinker and he make a lot of interesting stuff that worked pretty good and was cheap.  Unfortunately he spent too much time fabricating and not enough effort  to be timely when actually  farming and eventually the operation went belly-up.  

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Gough in years past I made a few things my own style chisel plow form two others.  And then just modified things I bought to make better. This summer I am converting forage baxes into rear dump hydraulic driven live bottoms when I get done I will post pics.  Mostly I just modify stuff though. JR

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Gough, in these parts everyone`s pretty much specialized and just don`t have time to clobble much. I built a skidloader trailer from scrap, all perfect....except I forgot to tighen one set of lug nuts. I got a mile down the road and a wheel came off and passed me as pretty as can be. The skidloader stayed upright on the now 3 wheeled trailer, that could have been baaaad. Here`s a link to Farm Show magazine, you might find it interesting. Keep your welding rods dry.

http://www.farmshow.com/

0 Kudos
Sundowner
Contributor

131i73B2854CDEA5A3E3Built this 60' sprayer from scratch and parts from an old 45'. The boom has since been redone and is stonger. It has a forklift mast for vertical adjustment. Next will be to add hydraulics for folding and a bigger tank.

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Deere - Thanks for that.  We don't have anything like that here hence I have just subscribed. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
behog
Frequent Contributor

I have built a few things over the years.  The biggest and most complicated was probaly a crowd gate for the holding pen to push the cows into the barn.  Doing things like this really gives you an appreciation of how hard it is to design and build somthing.  Makes me think everytime I am working on somthing comlex like a combine and I think why did they do this this way, then I imagine how hard and how much time must have went into building the machine in the first place.

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

That is pretty bloody neat.  You should be proud of it.

0 Kudos
dirtfarmer63
Frequent Reader

Over the years I have built a 45Ft 400 gallon three point sprayer, A couple of trailers, One for lawn mowers and one for a seed vac tender I have. I three point Ditcher out of an old Go-Dig, A three point bale fork,  A road drag, Next project will be a 750 gallon 60 ft. large single tired sprayer.

0 Kudos