cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg
Friend

Auger Plugged!!

I need your help. I have a 8" auger coming from my holding bin to the top of my dryer. It will not turn forward or backward with the motor or a pipe wrench and pipe extender. The top and bottom is clean. It is wedged with corn. How do I unplug this?? Any ideas would help. Thanks  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
r3020
Senior Contributor

Re: Auger Plugged!!

Any luck?? That's a hard one.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Contributor

I don't have any experience, just an idea.  How about finding a flexible tape, something like a big sewer tape, and keep working it in from both top and bottom to try to get some of the packed corn loosened.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
huserag
Contributor

My guess is it plugged at top. Over fed drier. Happened to me once. Took auger down and hooked auger tub to one tractor and screw to other. Then pulled screw out. You won't believe how tight corn will pack in there.
0 Kudos
2cheap2Brich
Veteran Reader

Rubber maul and take all your earthly frustration's out on that tube. If you find where it's packed full cut out a section of tube and get corn out and weld in a patch. Had the top pulley spin off of our's last fall. Could get a small trickle of grain out bottom of auger and just kept at it till it would turn. Only thing in our favor was dry corn going to storage. Wet corn will be tight.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I once had my 63 foot bin loading auger plug so tight...I had to take the end loose from the tube..and hook an old IH tractor to it (an M or H might do the trick..you want a PTO with clutches and a hand lever) and actually screwed the auger out of the the grain stuck in the tube. It has to be an independent PTO..so you can have the tractor in gear..clutch disengaged..as you ease the PTO in gear and things start moving. Then you let the drive clutch out as the auger comes free.

0 Kudos