cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Battling Mouses! I think I am loosing!

I am having the never ending battle with mice (and rats) in the equipment again.  Last year they ate the main belt on the zero turn mower, the main plastic airline and the main oil line on the mack tandem, the wire cluster on the gator and i am sure other things i have yet to discover. My concern now is that i have upgraded to a semi with an electronic engine.  I am really afraid of the damage those dirty rats can do to the wiring harnesses.  I am looking for the most effective way you folks have found to prevent them from getting in.  I have speant an entire day with silicone, vacuum, and whatever else i can think of to clean and seal cab joints, wire joints, where airlines and such pass thru to the cab.  We do not have cats...simply because the german shepherds think that they are their own personal snacks.  I put bounce sheets in the combine cab and panels and also in the old ford tandem, but judging by the piles of mouse poop on the floor it just makes the terds smell like they have been thru the clothes drier. At this point, I am open to suggestions....no matter how radical. TIA  Joe

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Battling Mouse! I think I am loosing!

I think it almost impossible to keep mice out buildings or machinery and your best plan of attack would eliminating as many mice as possible.  First off try to clean up and spilled grain as good as feasibly possible.  Then set out lots of mouse poison in bait stations.  I simply use plastic butter dishes or Cool Whip containers and cut a small hole in them and place them upside down on their lids which makes a flatter more stable base. 

I prefer the mouse dope that comes in cubes over the loose stuff that looks like oatmeal flakes.   I think the loose stuff gets stale faster.  I have found that the mice eat more poison when I use bait stations as opposed to just tossing out some cubes here and there. 

I place bait stations around grain bins, the grain drier, in all machine and storage sheds plus the garage.  THe other key is to not just put poison out a couple times a year but to check and refill the bait stations on a regular basis.

IN the past we had mice a couple times chew up speakers and head liner in the combine and tried hedge balls, the drier sheets and an electronic gadget with little success.  After setting out multiple bait stations and refilling on a regular basis we still have some mice but far fewer these days and less mouse damage.

0 Kudos
Advisor

moth balls work good in cabs but you need to replace often

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Battling Mouses! I think I am loosing!

You may have to get a dog that tolerates cats. In fact, most good cats can tare care of a dog with just a good scratch on the dogs nose

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

When you put out your bait, are you also putting water out with it?  My dad always said that the water would make for a quicker reaction time on the poison.  Just wondering.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I think your dad had a good idea, the more comfortable you make a mouse when he's eating...the more bait he's going to consume. Putting water with the bait is a great idea, and the only way I've ever seen professional exterminators put out bait is in a covered station. That means the mice can enter the station..have more than one way out...and yet still feel safe to sit and chew the bait. Don't use the pellets...I've found them in so many things in my shop it would amaze you. Use the cubes. I've been trying to thing of cheap ways to make up a bait station...but I realized a small mailbox at Tractor Supply might be the cheapest thing I've seen that's reasonably durable. For 4 or 5 bucks...you drill a hole in the door...one in the other end..and put your water and bait in from the hinged end.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I never put out water with the bait but it may help.  Another poison mouse control idea I was told about but have never tried is to take a product like Golden Malrin fly bait and dissolve it in a shallow bowl of cola pop.  I was told this works good but you have to be careful about pets having access to it.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Dagwud has some good tips, but I'm not a fan of the poison because eventually you're going to start finding stinking dead bodies.  I think it's a good idea to try cats as well.  They are genius at getting away from dogs once they're old enough.  Try getting an adult instead of a kitten.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

one  thing I found works well is a 5 gallon plastic bucket half fill with water. I would put up a board ramp to the bucket and when the rats or mice would try to reach the water  for a drink the would fall in the bucket. This works really well in warm and dry weather when there is no other water source nearby. I have used this before and in less than 1 week I found no sign of any more mice or rats around the barns or in the bucket. Also there is no poison to worry about.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Great idea! I never thought of that one!  Thanks

0 Kudos