cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Battling Mouse! I think I am loosing!

I heard but have not tried a similar version of Dave's water bucket.  I believe this version used a wooded ramp but had a round dowel or pipe laying across the top of the bucket with a tin can with both ends removed slid over the dowel or pipe.  The idea is when the mice step out on the dowel / can it will rotate dumping them into the bucket of water.

Cats are great for mice control if you have some good mousers.  We are low on cats now plus I like to keep my machine shed close up as much as possible making it hard for cats to get in and patrol for mice.  By using my cheap home made bait boxes I have yet to have a pet into the poison and get sick.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Cats

Kitty cats, and that is the final answer. They are like little lions.

0 Kudos
gudlib
Frequent Reader

Re: Battling Mouse! I think I am loosing!

Get a ferret, put in in a cage and let the dropping build up some. The smell will run rats and mice to your neighbors.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Re: Battling Mouses! I think I am loosing!

Our neighbor puts a pan of moth balls in his combine cab, puts more in the grain tank, and also on the straw walkers.  The bucket traps work well for us in the cattle barn.  I just put a dry bucket tight next to a post in the feed room, not right on the corner of the post, but near enough to the corner so mice can climb the post.  I catch several a week that way, and let the cats fish them out of the bucket.  The record so far is 11 at one time.  I also keep empty buckets in the granery next to corners so the mice can climb.  Seems like if 1 falls in more are attracted and join the party.  We just keep the mouse population under control, but will never eradicate them, with all the places to hide and all the feed.  I can't remember the last time I saw evidence of rats, though.  We don't have a lot of cats, but evidently enough to keep the rats away.

0 Kudos