cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Belt trailer

Son is thinking of buying a belt trailer. Thought it might giving him more options of what to haul. Just looking for the pros and cons.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Belt trailer

Are you talking about a semi-trailer?  They're kind of pricey, aren't they?  I wonder what the maintenance on them is.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Yes. Semi trailer. Pricey in the con column. Don't know about maintenance. Thank you for the reply. He thought about a dump trailer but they have a way of upsetting.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

If you have the cash a belt trailer is the way to go. Dump trailers can be dangerous.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I was dealing with a guy who had a walking floor trailer and a belt trailer that he used mostly for hauling seed corn.  I can't offer any thoughts on them, as we didn't talk much about the operation.  I suppose it would be good if you could find a dealer who would give you the names of some people who own them.

In default of anything else, maybe a local seed corn processing plant would give you the names of some owners you could ask.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Thanks both you and Jim for your thoughts. There is a Pioneer production facility in our town and that is where he got the idea of a belt trailer. Haul seed down from Michigan in the fall. Last about 2 months. There are several large dairies in the area also. He used to work for one but he drove the dump trailer. He said there were guys hauling in with belt trailers also.  There are also some who haul corn to the ethanol plants then back haul chicken litter.  I think you are right he needs to talk with some of the guys who own belt trailers but will have to view there comments as that of the competition. I'm sure he will get it figured out. Again. Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos