cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Best older small square balers

My son is looking to get into some small scale livestock production. We'll be looking for a relatively cheap small square baler. I had a JD 24T many years ago which wasn't too bad if you treated it right. What other balers work well and can generally be bought for less than $2000? I'm thinking mostly JD and NH. I would guess that parts availability for IH and most other brands would be a problem.

Any opinions appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best older small square balers

We have an old 315 NH that has been a good machine. But knotters are complicated, and having a dealer with someone who is good at troubleshooting is a must.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I would stick to NH. Find one no too used, they are fixable and if tiy get them runn8ng right, they go andgo.

We have a hayliner, 1957, 57? model, high capacity, its onmly prob is the balkes sghape isn't that crisp, Ok for home use but not teh best for loading tight and traveling. 1957 8s a little tooold.

I bet youy can get a 60s model for 1k.

JD is ok if youy get a good one, but most I know who have em, have endless troubles.

Rough if rain is forecast next day

I

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

i have a John Deere 24 ws, older wire baler.  thing is flawless, last time i used it baled 600 bales with out a miss till i had to change wire rolls. got them changed out and never missed till done.  I did pay 700 for tune up , knife sharpening, and other little tid bits, but i would not trade it for anything.  when i was a kid, dad had an old ih45 baler.  one of us had to ride on the twine box cause it would miss every 4th bale.  think that was the summer i learned how to cuss!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That's funny, I had to do the same thing. Fortunately I'd been a Boy Scout so I knew how to tie knots fast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Although the NH models are good the models that have worked best for me are JD models. with the right luck you'll find a good old model and be able to get some serious work out of it. just make sure the previous owner kept up w/ maintanence and do the same and you should be good. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@nosoup4u wrote:

My son is looking to get into some small scale livestock production. We'll be looking for a relatively cheap small square baler. I had a JD 24T many years ago which wasn't too bad if you treated it right. What other balers work well and can generally be bought for less than $2000? I'm thinking mostly JD and NH. I would guess that parts availability for IH and most other brands would be a problem.

Any opinions appreciated.

I would highly recommend a JD 336, using poly twine, with a Hay Basket hooked up to the back.

One man operation and best "bang" for the buck.  If your JD dealer has a square baler expert on staff, make him your new best friend and treat him like gold.  I have been doing small squares for so many years, now the dealers call me for advice on setting the knotters. lol.

Here is a nice picture of one in use.....

0 Kudos