cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Build My Own Sprayer?

I'm looking for a rather specialized 3-point sprayer.  It's going to cost some money.  I'm toying with the idea of building it myself from parts from various suppliers.  Have any of you done that and what is your experience?  Worth it, or just find something that will work and live with it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Build My Own Sprayer?

what did we used to do before we got to the point we had to buy everything in town.......

depends on what you want to do........im going to have to put some stuff together since our local coop just went up to $7.50 an

ac to spray, or even spread fertilizer.

if you want to go high tech, yet keep money in your pocket, you can get a raven crusier  (which will soon be replaced with

cx-7 field computer), that will give you about all you want for about $1525 or less.......want better gps, then add the

better antenna for $300 to $400 rather than hocky puck........then get you a spraymate II, and a cable to mate it with

the gps unit, for a 3 pt, you can use a simple system, so the spraymate II should run you less than $1100

if you want then, hook all that up to a motor controler for about $350 that microtrack makes, and it will do automatic

liquid fertilizer on a drill or planter, and based on speed, which is the way it sould be.

what in tarnation  are you trying to build ?  a 3pt, with hoods on it so you can spray your mary jane ??

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I want this for spraying waterways, road ditches, contour strips and so forth, but I also want to do some light field spraying with it. I'm thinking 200 gallon because my tractors aren't that big anymore.   I haven't decided on boom length yet. 20-28', probably.  I'm on 8 30" rows.   I want 3 section GPS boom control.  I need a flow meter transducer.  I have AgLeader GPS antenna and Integra display.  As time goes by and I get smaller, which I absolutely plan to do, this will be my field sprayer, even though I have to fill often.

I love the Hardi diaphragm pump but am not sure I can find a diaphragm at a reasonable price.  I also want a hand boom/wand capability.

It would be nice if it would flow 35 gpa or at least 30 gpa, but if I have to I'll simply go over the ground twice.  I'll put liquid N on with it.

It would be nice if I had hydraulics on the boom so I could move the tips up and down for uneven surfaces, but that is probably dreaming.

I haven't found anyone who makes anything like this and the big boys don't even want to talk about anything less than 1200 gallon pull type sprayers so I feel like on orphan on this question.

What do you think?  Can it be built, or rather assembled, fairly easily?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I have a Hardi MK 150 3pth sprayer; the pump is a diaphragm type; I extended the boom (20" spacing) to 30 ft and added a 3 section electric control by Texas Industrial Remcor: it has no rate controller: I can spray 10 acres at 12 to 15 gal per acre; I have an EZ Guide 250 for GPS mounted just above eye level from the cab roof; I can see the light bar and screen at a glance without looking away from the direction of travel; if I come upon a higher infestation of weeds I can drop down a gear (6410 JD) for a higher rate of spray: it is a simple set up and I am more than pleased with the results; I have several grass waterways to spray around and the 30 ft boom is very manageable in tight corners; I have around $2500 invested in the sprayer and another $1000 in the GPS; every thing was purchased used.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

might take a gander at sprayers.com........I think you take off 40 to 50%.........but still will make your eyes pop out

also might look at agspray.com..........don't know if they will be cheaper or not.

sprayer.com might have a store in your extended neighborhood.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

got your sprayer figured out yet ?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Not yet.  I do know it's going to cost much more than I'd hoped, specc'ed the way I want.

I'm getting some bids in and am getting another tomorrow, so I'll see what they say.

0 Kudos