cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAS#17
Contributor

CIH 7240 on SAE 30 engine oil

Recently discovered that we had a little mixup and have been using Case IH SAE 30 oil in our 7240 for the last few hundred hours.   Youre supposed to put 15W-40 in Cummins engines.  The tractor runs great and shows no problems......should I be worried?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: CIH 7240 on SAE 30 engine oil

Does the owners manual list 30 wt as an option in summer?  My newer equipment does.  If you didn't work it hard before it warmed up in cold weather I wouldn't be too concerned.  The only engine I ever blew up was by following the dealers advice back when 15-40 1st came out and using it in a 60's tractor that was supposed to use a straight weight only.  30 in summer and 20 in winter.

0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

It won't hurt anything as long as it doesn't get too cold this winter. I would swap it for 15W40 though as it is cold where I am and if you have a couple hundred hours on it anyway, why chance it? It gets pretty think at zero degrees.

0 Kudos
JAS#17
Contributor

Thanks for the advice.....let me say though, the oil has been changed every season which for me is around 100 hrs.  It just so happened that we somehow had gotten into the wrong habbit over the last few oil changes of putting the 30 wt in. 

0 Kudos