cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Calling all Massey Ferguson combine drivers

Massy Ferguson Guys!!!

I was born and raised on the 550, 750, 860 combines,  Whats the next model that you would recommend?   Where the ones in the late 80's, early 90's good ones,  I know they are getting age on them but I went to an International,  I just can't be sold on those combines, there a good machine, but its the little things that count up to be big pain.    I like the rotatry threshing compared to the walker combine but I would like to go back towards the Massey combines.  

I live in SE NE  my closet dealers are 60 miles away AND massy has lost their touch around here.  Any information would be helpful.  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Calling all Massey Ferguson combine drivers

I have a neighbor that still runs Massey combines, well, he runs one, and uses one for parts.  I think he has either 550s or 660s.  He really likes the Masseys, because he has one field with a steep sidehill, and feels the Massey carries its weight down lower than other makes.

Have helped him fix from time to time, and Grint Farm Supply in Sargent, NE, has (or at least had) a fair supply of used parts, and Benes Equipment, I think either in, or around Valparaso, NE, has or had a supply of new parts, yet.  Word is, Benes bought out an old Massey combine warehouse, and still has parts left.

www.grintfarmsupply.com is Grint's number.  They have a lady at the parts counter named Deb, that really knows her stuff.

Don't know the web address to Benes, but maybe could google search it if you need to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Benes Equipment is in David City, their chemical sales are in Valparaso

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

im lost..........you went from massey to cash IH and wanna go back.........

no offense........but you f-ed something up........

410 to 510 to 760 to 1640 to 2166............

granted.........I learned to wrench on a Massey...........which made every other job in the universe easy...........

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY............

holy moly...........good luck my friend...........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for clearing that up.  I never went on the trip with him, just helped with parts, and he said he had to make the drive to Benes' to get them, so I guess I just assumed it was the same Benes that people around here get chemicals from.  I did not know they had more locations in Nebraska.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

To me the IH combines are kind of clumsy to get around with.   There a good combine, but I just can't get use to them.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I know this doesn't really help the topic any, but i agree with Mizzou on this one. We had an 860 and went to a 1460, which i would say is much smaller capacity and i would never go back. Its quiet, you can actually keep the cab cool, it turns on a dime, its not as clumsy, its much easier to work on and keep mainanted, about half as many grease zerks, less than half of the wear parts and components, just overall a much better combine. 

Now granted when we could keep the 860 running it would eat wheat, but those were usually only 4 or 5 hour spurts and it was something else.

Now back to the actual topic. Massey really fell off the radar after the 860 and i know of NO one that runs anything after an 860 untill Agco bought them out. If you want a massey combine stick with the 860's and older unless you can get an Agco product Massey,.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Those big old Massey combines are very popular around here at the combine demolition derbys, they really mow down the competition.  Finally found something those masseys are good for.

0 Kudos