cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kiwiana
Contributor

Case 4960

Looking at buying a 1982 (?) Case 4960 with only 2000 hours. Has been used to drive a feedmixer. I drove it, but don't understand the powershift. Starting in low on the powershift, it shifts OK into intermediate and then high with the lever on the dash. But it won't shift back to intermediate or low with the dash lever. Then when I put the clutch in, it shifts back to low. Is this normal? How do you get out of high pulling a disc? Do you have to put the clutch in every time to get out of high?

The other (serious) problem was that when I put the clutch in (with the motor idling) the motor really loads up for a second or two. Then it idled OK while I used the gear lever to shift it into gear. Could that be a worn powershift or a clutch brake?

A lesser problem was that when the seller's agent started it up, the engine would only idle for a couple of minutes. After that it would rev - but not with any "enthusiasm". It  just sped up to the throttle position - in its own time. Like the governor wasn't working to kick it up to speed. It had the original Case engine but I wonder about the governor which I presume is part of the fuel injection pump

I would appreciate any advice as these are not very common tractors in New Zealand. Are there other issues I should be looking at?  

Kiwiana

0 Kudos
11 Replies
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Case 4960

I have a 2670, which is similar to a 4690, but older. But you say 4960, so I am not sure if that is a typo, or if it is a different animal altogether. On our 2670, the powershift 3 speed will shift up and down using the dash lever. You are only supposed to shift one range at a time. If you forget and put in the clutch pedal while it is in high (like to avoid a stupid driver), it will shift back to low. But, it will breifly lock up as the powershift shifts into 2 or 3 gears at once and your face will hit the front of the cab if you are not ready for it.

At the same time, the motor will lug down as it is fighting the locked up trans. We use our tractor mostly for PTO work running a silage processor that needs 200 hp and it does that well. We used to do more drawbar work with it, but had to put $8000 in the trans once so we don't work it too hard that way anymore. I am surprised that the one you tried is sluggish, because the 504 Case in the 2670 is pretty snappy and I think at least 260 engine hp. Ours has broken a few injector lines and after seeing all the burned engines in junkyard 2670s, I replaced all the lines last year.

The governor is in the bosch inline injector pump and if it is acting the way you describe, it may need work if the fuel supply to it is good.

I would avoid buying it is there isn't a good source of new and used parts in NZ for it, because it is old and it will eat some parts that are easy and cheap to get over here.

Seems like a big horse for a feed mixer, must have been a good sized one?

0 Kudos
kiwiana
Contributor

Hi Siloguy, and many thanks for your informative reply. Yes you are right it is a 4690, and it probably wasn't driving a feed mixer - maybe it was a feed grinder, I don't know much about those machines. They said they needed the PTO horsepower for their job.

What you said about the motor lugging down is what happened when I put the clutch in - to put it into gear - when the powershift was in low. And I couldn't get it to come of of high powershift with the dash lever. When it was going along in high and I put in the clutch it jumped back into low and jerked like you said. So maybe the transmission needs repairing. I want it to help with the plowing and disking, and I am prepared to put some money into it.

Does the powershift come out in one piece from the gearbox, or does it have to be removed piece by piece? I was thinking maybe I could import a complete powershift . I see Bootheel sell 4690 powershifts. Who would be a good wrecker to deal with?

Once again, many thanks for your helpful reply.

John Hudson

Gisborne, New Zealand.

0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

I think the powershift comes out in one piece. I think the motor was pulled on ours to work on the trans, and the powershift was behind the flywheel. Our tractor lugs down a bit when you push the clutch pedal too, and that may be part of how that system works. The dash lever should be able to shift down, and there may be a linkage issue there. We also had to replace the hydraulic pump on ours, because when it got weak, the powershift trans would slip and not shift right. The best part of our whole tractor is the engine, it starts great even in the cold, it is easy on fuel, but the rest of the tractor has needed above average work. If you could take the 504 engine and stuff it in something like a 2-180 White, you might have something. Or perhaps eliminate the powershift somehow and just have the 4 speed.

0 Kudos
JJ Johnson
Contributor

Case tractors don't have a clutch, they have a dump valve. When you push the left peddal, it releases the pressure to the power shift clutch packs which causes the transmission to stop. This is why Case tractors "surge" when you push the inching pedal because you are releasing the load on the engine.

As stated, the power shift components in a Case 4wd come out thru the front of the housing once the engine has been removed. The powershift comes out in in pieces and I would suggest having a Case tech do it after you have pulled the motor if you want to save a little.

The most critical thing to now about any Case tractor is to never run the PTO with the transmsission in reverse. This will starve the bearings and cause the powershift to self destruct.

0 Kudos
kiwiana
Contributor

Thank you both very much for your replies. I think I'll go ahead with the purchase (at the right price - he wants NZ$13,000, US$9,750) because it looks as though the powershift can be reconditioned or replaced. Bootheel wreckers have them for US$6,500.

Many thanks

John Hudson

0 Kudos
sapro616467
Reader

Before you pull engine remove power shift valve off under floor plate and clean and rebuild. sounds like shift spools are sticking, they are spring loaded and MUST snap back with a little screw driver behind them.  Your engine loading can be set adjusting retard screws on top of valve  C 2   &  C3   I have 30 years of case experience      sapro@redred.com

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wgjerde768071
Senior Contributor

Before you tear apart the powershift If the tractor is  pulling  fine shifting 1to 2 to 3 but does not down shift the problem in most likely in the valve body which sits on top of the transmission  the valves are sticking or the some holes are plugged  I had a 2670 which I rebuilt the powershift myself. I have sold it now    It quite a job with the most work taking the engine out,  but with a shop manual and advice from a dealer it is doable If you have to replace the powershift have the unit rebuilt  Most of labor is in the pulling out and in  You need a over head crane to pull motor  It weights about 2000 pounds A shop manual is a must

Good luck

0 Kudos
wgjerde768071
Senior Contributor

Worthington ag salvage in Worthington mn is another good one They ship worldwide  Just google

0 Kudos
mike se il
Advisor

OK, but YOU ASKED ....

"I would appreciate any advice as these are not very common tractors in New Zealand. Are there other issues I should be looking at?" The only issue you need to be looking at is which way is the gate so you can put as much distance between it and you as posible.

0 Kudos