cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Case IH combine, disrupter question, help appreciated

Last winter i upgraded to a speciality rotor with kyle afx fronts. I put all new thresh bars on the front half, but it had the raised thresh bars on the rear half (i think they are actually rice bars)  The combine i took the rotor out of had disrupters, and the previous owner said the rice bars helped with the action of the disrupter. When i mentioned this to my dealer parts guy, he mentioned that i needed to be careful on the disrupter placement on my grates.  I pulled the machine out today to start getting ready for harvest, and i looked at how they were placed in relation to the rice bars on the new rotor.  while some of them are in line with the high spot on the rice bar, it looks like there is 1/2 inch or better clearance as they pass each other, and there is no way that they can make contact.  I asked the service manager today and he said he had never heard of any issues with placement of the disrupters with the rice bars on the spec rotor.  My question is , who do i believe?  So i am here looking for information from folks who have experience with this situation.  It seems like having them more in line may make for more aggressive cutting action, but i could also be convinced that more offset placement allows for smoother running. any help is appreciated.  I have the grates out right now, so switching them is no big deal, just trying to get the best action out of them.  Thanks in advance for the help.  Joe  btw, pete, if your reading, i sent you an email recently, waiting for an answer.   AAAAAAAA!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Case IH combine, disrupter question, help appreciated

What are you harvesting?
Corn doesn't need much aggression, beans take a little more, wheat more yet, oats more, and rice, all you can get.

If you are just doing corn & beans, I'd go with what would give a smoother flow.  I think the AFX vanes in the front will help a lot getting things going through.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Case IH combine, disrupter question, help appreciated

I guess that information would have helped......corn and beans are 95 % of what goes thru the machine.  I haven't had wheat the last few years, and don't anticipate it in the next two years.  I am mostly no till, so i am trying to chop the bean residue as much as possible.  My combine is old enough that a straw chopper can't be installed. My greatest fear here is potential damage to the cage from insufficient trash flow between the disrupters and the bars. I hate it when pieces and smoke fly out the back end of the machine!

0 Kudos