cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Check out this tillage rig

We were just talking about this rig -- a company in Brazil is making and selling quite a few of them, it sounds like. They're 60 meters (what, about 180 feet?) wide. Pulled by 2 tractors. Sort of looks like a fish seining operation. Pretty wild. Looks like maybe something just for pretty light tillage in lighter soils. Darn sure not for the heavy loamy soils. What do you think? What other ways do you think you could use a rig like this on your farm? Maybe forage management or something? Either way, pretty cool!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Check out this tillage rig

That is what you call "just scratching the surface"  I saw a farmer in central Iowa using a similar rig but only pulled by one tractor If a little wet it will help dry the field,  if a little dry it will help conserve moisture.  

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

How do you get that thing down the road?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The phoenix harrow is a similar design sold in this country. It is not as aggressive as the the unit portrayed and it is pulled by one tractor.  The one used in our community did not create any demand amongst the locals.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I have a 55" Phoenix, just another tool in the tool box. they are a high speed machine. They work best over 9 MPH, I only have the hp to pull mine at about 13 mph.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

This particular rig breaks down to about 6-foot pieces and they haul them on a trailer. But at that rate, that makes for quite a bit of work when you get to a new field, just to get the thing together! 

0 Kudos