cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Communication

What does everyone else use to communicate from tractor to tractor.  We have used CB radios in the past and have had poor distance.  We tuned them but seemed to have trouble with the combine always needing to be tuned.  Granted they were not new radios.  We have used cell phones the last couple years texted back and forth but that is a pain and hard on cell phone battery's and you don't always see the text right away.  Last fall we went to hand held little radios and they worked good in the field, but the battery would not last a whole day (12-14 hrs).  Have thought about 2 ways that way we can talk to the truck but some people have said that they are to expensive and are being fazed out. 

What does everyone else use?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Communication

They aren't being fazed out as I understand it but the bandwidth frequency is being tightened.  So old radios are being fazed out if they can't be tightened to the new frequency.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

We use cell phones but normally make calls, very few text messages.  We have placed chargers in every, truck, tractor, sprayer, etc., etc., etc...  I figured since everyone had a phone and a plan, using them would not create an additional expense.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

CBs and cell phones, works better than hand signals  we've  found

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We still have an old radio system that we maintain enough to have radios in the combine & grain cart  or 2 tractors working in the same field.  But for the most part everything else is cell phone.  I (the older guy) liked listening to activity on the radios, but the younger guys get tired of the yap/yap.  Cell phones are here to stay and have so much ability.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Shaggy,

We text a lot----- we have a couple of fields in poor reception area and we can get a message through when the phone is busy.  We have one or two who are busy phoners.  One of our guys is really savy on the tech side of smart phones.  Amazing potential.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

SW, I understand.  I am a 1 man chain gang with the exception of harvest.  I then have a nephew and a younger cousin that help me and it is smart phone deluxe.  Any less would be uncool.  Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Advisor

I've used handheld uhf radios for years. The radios are so much smaller and lighter than the big ones from the 80's. Rent repeater space from local provider. Always seems to work.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thats a good idea idalivered.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kind of like Shaggy here....work alone most of the time [just talk to myself ].During harvest or when breakdowns happen cell phone works when I can find someone to  answer my cries for help !!!  John

0 Kudos