cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Construction equipment for farm use

As I've traveled around from farm to farm, I'm noticing more and more pieces of equipment that were generally used in the construction arena are making their way to farms. What I've seen so far are forklifts, telehandlers, and excavators. Are you using a construction tool on your farm? If so, what are you using it for? Why did you decide to purchase?

Thanks!

Laurie Bedord

Deputy Machinery Editor

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Contributor

Re: Construction equipment for farm use

Forklifts are handy for moving seed, feed and other bulk items that can't easily be moved with a tractor loader.  Telehandlers with buckets do well for moving manure. As far as excavators dont know we dont use one.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Forklifts are designed for the weight of normal pallets of seed. A 60 unit pallet of soybeans can go as much as 3600 lbs..and that's a heck of a load on a tractor loader. Telehandlers also reach higher for bunk silo unloading..and have so many options for loading. They can go from bulk..to having pallet forks, to being a hydraulic scaffold in a very short time.

Excavators probably aren't common..but backhoes are. Lots of guys are doing their own tile repair..and it sure beats breaking your back to get a tile dug out. I'd kind of like an excavator just to clear some trees and dip some ditches...nobody I know uses a dozer to push out fencerows any more..because an excavator does it so efficiently. You can even fit an excavator with a shear..and trim trees along woods with it. I've seen them with big grinding heads..just grinding back the edge of woods 30 feet in the air. It would take a heck of a lot of chain sawing from a bucket truck to do what they do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

As the construction industry softened the last couple years, the tools they use like backhoes, telehandlers, excavators and forklifts became more affordable for farmers.  I just bought a telehandler to move trees, use as a forklift, and use for some other odd jobs.  The idea is to use it for a year and then sell it but it has so much more capacity than my 45 year old loader that it might stay around for awhile.  I rented an excavator to bury buildings and clean out ditches and a manure lagoon.  The used prices of these machines have dropped dramatically compared to five years ago.  I thought about buying an excavator but I've heard horror stories about repair bills when something goes wrong.  Backhoes are probably the most common piece of construction equipment showing up in this neighborhood.  Fixing tile is the most common use.  Between finding someone who will fix tile in a timely manner and the cost savings a backhoe is a very cost effective tool on the farm.  Fixing a landlord's tile is another way to keep them happy. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I have rented a lot of equipment. We bought a backhoe 2 years ago for tile repair and rocks. I am going to be purchasing a wheel loader this summer for our snow removal business. around here alot of guys are buying stuff to do big projects and then taking it right back up to Richie Bros and selling it when donwe with the job.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

We do our own roofing & build grain bins so we bought an older manlift to put up blower pipe & work on roofs, so much easier than ladders & not sure how else we would have gotten our blower pipes up in place.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Around here I am seeing forklifts for dumping bulk seed into wagons.  The elevator gives an early seed pickup discount and favorable payment terms for picking up your seed in March.  Some people rent man lifts for roofing repairs.  There are 4 tile guys in the area so getting tile fixed is usually no problem. I  have a skid loader I use for about anything you can think of and am thinking of buying some sort of cutting attachment for it to trim back trees along a half mile of creek running thru 1 farm.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

We have a6 yard wheel loader that needs work and a road grader that we use quite a bit. The road grader has been used to make access roads on the farm, plow snow sometimes when we have ice that needs breaking up, and to remove dead furrows from land we bought. My partner's dad was a grader operator for his career and he is good at using it.

0 Kudos