cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Corn planter shopping

Just shopping. Looked a White 6342 12/13 row. I've never seen one like this setup has 12, 30 inch rows and folds to 13, 15 inch. Also flexes in the center. Has planter mounted valves so only two tractor valves are needed. Anyone have experience with these planters. I currently have a older White 5100 4 row 36 inch that is very worn but does a great job.
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Advisor

Re: Corn planter shopping

Yeah you gotta get on 30" rows bro. Whites good. I heard if you have very diff lots it can be challenging. But I use Deere vac, so I never struggle.

Guys like interplanetary a lot. If your going 38" beans your giving a bunch up: a 50 yr drill at 7.5" will out yield that

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've been using a drill for beans. Trying to get away form using it ASAP. I think even on my small acres i can save a lot on seed and get a little better yield with better seed placement. Salesman said he has a few customers who plant wheat with 15 inch planters???
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm not ruling out a Deere or Kinze. They do have more dealers in my area.
0 Kudos
Advisor

You give up 5-10% w 15" wheat. Guys do it cause wheats a minor crop in the states... 10% of 85bpa wheat is a lot for me.. 10% of like 30-40 is way less, ESP if 90% of your acres is corn/soy.

A jd 60/90 drill is very precise on placement and fert attachments increase yield on wheat... But your going to spend soooo much on one. Stay away from trailed gauge wheels. 90 air seeders r preferred too: better placement, cost, hp requirements. Don't know anyone who uses a non jd air seeder: they suck.

15" saves a bunch of seed. If your fields are very smooth: 150,000 vs 200,000 w 7.5". Pays to finance it I guess at current prices: unless you start saving a good public variety. I go 175,000 w a drill I. 15": save money and all trials indicate 175000 w drill = planter w any pop in 15". You can get a monitor or scales for a drill so you don't overseed if your nervous. Soys compensate for spaces, so singulation does not matter

What do you mostly plant? Corn/soy? Get an interplant planter. Soy/ wheat? Drill w fert/scales/monitor.

A few whites out here. Can't tell the diff between fields.
0 Kudos
Advisor

I would be planting wheat w a 4" drill if they existed: they are in Europe, but you have to make substantial modifications to make it work on doemestic models here---- higher yields w 4"... Wheats a 200 bpa crop there
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Wouldn't go narrower than 10" on my wheat ground. A few people go 7-1/2 and that doesn't seem to be much different than 10", maybe 7.5 offers a little better chance of shading the ground earlier in the spring to aid in weed control. I'm talking old fashioned hoe drills, not the high $ air seeders.
0 Kudos
Advisor

There is a slight advantage to 7.5" va 10". The advantage is that extra yield eventually pays for the drill. Guys w 10" are obsolete and I couldn't find any.

The only reason I could think to go w 10" is less disease pressure in beans? But if I wanted that, I'd go 15" cause 15s are the same as 7.5 in beans.

Anyways, can't say I know anyone who has sold a 10" spacing. Sorry, but I can't say it's a good idea
Senior Contributor

Probably same principle as Shaggy's half stand corn. If you don't have enough water to push high populations row spacing isn't as important either. We all have to do what works on our farms. It is fun to hear what works better in different parts of the world though.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I agree buck, places where moisture usually isn't an issue are farmed different than places that starve for rain every season. Look at the used farm equipment magazines, the location of each of those dealers inventories will tell you what works well for that location.