cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Cummins in a John Deere 40 series

Dad told me he use to see kits for placing a Cummins engine in a John Deere tractor. 

are they still around?   or has anyone ever tried it.  not for a pulling tractor put for just a using tractor?   

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Cummins in a John Deere 40 series

Our Kinze dealer used to be able to get the repower kits.  I don't know if it was made by Kinze, or some other maker, and just sold by the same dealer, though.

I did a search and came up with this, so you may be out of luck:

http://www.kinzerepower.com/

Effective October 1, 2007, KINZE Power Products has discontinued Repowering tractors and selling Repower kits.  KINZE Power Products will continue to provide repair parts to support its customers. Thanks for your interest in KINZE Power Products.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

thanks I have no idea where to look.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Maybe a Kinze dealer has an old kit gathering dust in the back of the shop somewhere?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I'm not familiar with which engine it was, but at one time, it didn't cost any more to repower one of them with a Cummins, than replace the JD engine, if it had a cracked block.  Other than that, I don't know why, unless it was just because they could (also might explain why the kits are no longer made)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

That might have been what I was thinking of.  I knew they had kits for JDs, I just couldn't remember which ones. 

I have a neighbor who used to have a Ford Diesel pickup repowered to a Cummins.  It would pull about anything, but he got rid of it because it didn't go 'fast enough'.  The Cummins he put in there topped out at about 2500 RPM, and the old V-8 diesel he took out, was just starting to make power at that speed.  If I remember right, 65 was about all it would do, and the engine was revved out about all you wanted it to be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You can't get a new block for that series anymore and I just thought If anyone had ever done it,   but i talked to my Case IH dealer and he said they put a cummins in a 886, which it made a nice tractor but it ran into some major money issues.   so i guess I'll just over haul the ones I got..   

Would the 466 engine used in the 7700 tractor fit i wonder?   The newer engines startered better in colder conditions.  I have a 4040, just bought it, its a cold blooded little thing. 

If you would ever break a block, You can fix it, but does that always work?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

When you say 40 series are you talking about a 4440 or a 4020?

I recall probably ten years ago I saw someone at Husker Harvest days selling a kit to put a Cummins in a 4020. My thought was the same as some of you, "What in the heck would you want to do that for?"  The 404 Deere engine is a good engine, it's not hard to find parts for, and you've just ruined the resale value of the tractor.

0 Kudos