cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beanman2000
Contributor

Deere 9500 jerk

Bought a 9500 and works really well except I am getting a jolt or thump when I change from forward to reverse, or slow down.  Also does it when going across rows or across tracks in the field.  Runs smooth when actually cutting down the rows.  Feels very mechanical, almost like a tooth in a gear or something, but doesn't do it all the time, nor does it do it underload.  Running in 2nd gear.   Anybody have anything to check.  The final drives had an oil change during reconditioning just before I purchased it, and I really think that if there were filings in it they would have told me.  Not sure if they did the tranny or not.  Could it be something else?  Any help appreciated.

I also feel I am a little short on power.  In the mud, but not reallly plowing the mud.  Running about 4.2 on firm ground, 125 bushel corn, when the ground gets really soft, but not necessarily slopply mud, the combine will bog down to 3.5 or less before the engine speed alarm sounds.  This seems to happen at about 2000 rpm or less.  It is supposed to have the 'big' engine.  That being said it seems to do a little better than the 7720 it replaced.  Maybe I am just expecting too much.  My biggest concern is the thump, jolt, shake, described above.

TIA

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tarheel farmer
Senior Reader

Re: Deere 9500 jerk

I had a similar problem with my 9500. I could hear a clunk when I would stop or change directions. Though it was a problem in the transmission or final drives. It turned out to be the drive shaft from the transmission to the left hand final drive. The spines had rusted and wore down on the shaft and coupling collar next to the final drive. Mine was caused by the air conditioning drain hose that drains right above the coupling collar. Over the years it had caused the shaft to rust and wear. If I remember right a new shaft was over $400.  You may want to check that out on yours. Good luck

0 Kudos
beanman2000
Contributor

Ok, the first problem solved.  I haven't replaced it yet (part on order) but I can see where one of the collars has been 'working' on the splines.

Power problem has gotten worse today.  Bogging down really bad.  Acting like not enough fuel.  Filters and water separator is all new.  Electric pump runs but doesn't sound right to me.  Instead of a consistent chatter, it sounds more like morse code.  It looks to be near new though.  No smoke issues like sometimes will have with plugged filters. 

Any thoughts experts?

0 Kudos
phil rupp
Senior Reader

I'm too close to home to be an expert, but my 6620 has a sediment bowl on the bottom of the tank with a screen in it. I had the same problem the first year I had it until I found that screen. It was plugged. Good luck, Phil

0 Kudos
beanman2000
Contributor

Problems all solved.  Thanks to input and a good dealer who stands behind the sale of an older combine.

0 Kudos
huserag
Contributor

If you are still short on power, Bully Dog does make a chip that will add 10, 20 or 30%. It helped my 9500 with the big engine.
0 Kudos