cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Deere 9500

interesting.  What would Deere have done without the 466 motor. Thanks for the history lesson. I just hope these new 9.0L turn out as well.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanx.  It does help.  like 4wd said, an excellent history.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

@4wd wrote:

interesting.  What would Deere have done without the 466 motor. Thanks for the history lesson. I just hope these new 9.0L turn out as well.

I don't know if that will be possible considering all the EPA regulations, but the 8.1(496) was a worthy succesor.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree.  The 8.1L has proven itself very durable since its arrival in the mid 90's.  I know of several early 8000 series tractors with well over 10000 hours in my area, most of which have gotten that far with nothing more than regular maintenance. 

I don't think it is possible for the 9.0L to achieve icon status.  The increasing emissions regulations are laying out a difficult road to success for the diesel market.  The cost of ownership of diesel engines has always been higher than gasoline engines but that number is being pushed to levels never seen before.  I recently heard that Caterpillar has pulled the plug on its heavy truck engine efforts.  That really hurts my feelings because cat has always had a great reputation for reliability and longevity in that market.  Their reason for doing so, according to my source was the uphill emissions battle.  

Emissions regulations will eventually drive the cost of ownership so high that the regular guy like myself won't even be able to consider buying a diesel pickup.  Urea refills?? That is absurd!!

Adam 

0 Kudos