cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: “Destroying the very idea of ownership”

If JD owns the sofware, can it access it at any time and use the information if gathers about my farming operation for it's own purposes without my consent?  Would JD have the ability and requirement to respond to a governmentn subpoena of my software?  These issues are arleady being discussed in vehicle circles.  

I'd like to see JD and auto manufacturers off a prroduct that does not rely on all the sophisticated software and thus give me a choice as to whether I buy in to their schemes or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Your green tractor and your Siverado

Wonder if the folks over at St. Louis will get a patent on fresh, river, well and lake water due to the D N A  chemical content ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

A lot of What Deere is doing has been done by the auto industry for years.When the newer tractors show a code,a mechanic with the right code book can pinpoint the problem fairly quickly,,the problem is that these code books don't come with the owners manual.There are times that the codes may tell that there is a loose wire or a bad sensor,but you have to pay the dealer to find that out instead of troubleshooting it yourself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Jim,

I would say the answer to all your questions is yes.

And you are touching on the only recourse a buyer has.  You should have a right to buy a product without the software, or at least have a choice of software seller.  It will be a court issue soon.......

Problem is the federal requirement of much of this software for effeciency or environmental purposes is smack dab in the way of your property rights.

It will be very interesting to see what the supreme court will say on some of these issues.

Personal property rights, as known historically are in big trouble......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: “Destroying the very idea of ownership”No software/no warranty

No software means no Warranty,alot of these tractors just barely pass emissions tests and would not be legal to sell in the Us without the software.They used to build tractors for Russia on the same assembly line as the domestic tractors in Waterloo and the tractors bound for Russia had more power and fewer emission controls than the domestic tractor.the same sizeI am not sure if the power chips you can use to up the horsepower are 100% legal if they cause increased pollution,but they would void the warranty.

0 Kudos