cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Disc spacing

I am thinking of buying a newer disc. My current disc has 9 inch spacing between blades and the disc Im looking at has 7.5 inch spacing's. Does the spacing make much difference? I will be using this disc to till corn stalks in the fall for next years soybean crop and seedbed prep for corn in the spring. Any advice is appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Pat in CMO
Senior Contributor

Re: Disc spacing

Wider spacing will allow the disc to penetrate the ground easier. Narrow spacing is more of a finishing tool.  Patrick

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

We all use narrow spacing here in the clay.  The wider spacing doesn't dig all the dirt between the discs and also makes bigger slabs when it's a lil' wet.  I have an IH 470 7.5" spacing for sale.  18'.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

We have both a 9" and 7 1/2" spaced disk, both are older IH disks, so they are built very similarly.

Wider spacing - goes deeper, pulls just a little easier for the depth you are going, doesn't plug.  Usually with the wider spacing, you go with bigger blades.  When ours wear down a bit, we sometimes move them to the narrow spacing disk.  The disk itself is narrower, so the number of blades per gang is the same.  Chops through heavier residue easier.

Better for going deep, and burying some stalks.

narrower spacing - smoother seedbeds, doesn't make as big of clods if the ground is a little wet, cuts stalks into smaller pieces, but will plug sooner in heavy trash.  In wet conditions you better be sure the scrapers are in A-1 shape, at least on our soils.  One pass with it on bean ground leaves the ground as smooth as 2 passes with the 9" spaced one.  However, in heavy cornstalks, and deep ridges, it is hard to get it down deep enough to chop the stalks in the bottom of the ridge all the way through in tough conditions.

0 Kudos