cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Electric 'plug-in pickup'

Anybody keeping up with the Detroit Auto Show this week? I've been seeing some chatter (not sure if there are any of these at the acutal show) about more electric vehicles, like this Chevy Bolt that's slated to come out in the next few years. Some folks are talking about pickups. Tesla Motors fans are chatting about the prospect of a Tesla all-electric pickup, and some folks say with a little extra battery power than their cars, they'd be able to generate the torque they'd need to in order to do the jobs they'd need to.

So, do you ever see yourself driving an all-electric pickup? Think they can get them to where they'll be able to do the job of a gas- or diesel-powered rig these days? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Waterlooiowa
Frequent Contributor

Re: Electric 'plug-in pickup'

Alot of pickups are used more for running errands than for doing heavy work.I wish there had been an affordable electric pickup 20 years ago when I raised pigs.I used to put 50-75 miles a day on checking on hogs on different farms and getting supplies without ever getting more than 10 miles from home.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Electric 'plug-in pickup'

They should be able to design them to do as much or more work than gas or diesel. Electric motors can generate a lot of low speed torque. Cost and durability may be a limiting factor.
0 Kudos