cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ACX35923807
Friend

Electrical wiring harness John Deere 5065E

Jump to solution

Looks like rats did significant damage to the engine electrical wiring harness on my 2017 John Deere 5065E. Is this a DIY project?  If not, what should I expect the cost to be for having a repair shop replace the harness? Also, any suggestions in how to prevent this from happening again?  Unfortunately, I do not have a place to store the tractor inside. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Electrical wiring harness John Deere 5065E

Jump to solution

Hey ACX, for $3400, I believe I would have them do it.  I don`t know if your tractor has a cab, that might  have to be removed, 22 hours seems like a lot of time, maybe check with another dealer?  They probably get $120/hr, that`d be $2500 labor and about $900 for wiring, which i wouldn`t doubt. 

I have a old 2390 Case 1982 and I had trouble with the wiring and just wired around the bad spots, to change that old tractor`s harness always looked tough to get at.

Good luck with it  🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

If you have to ask if it`s a DIY project, it probably isn`t  🙂   I guess I would see what the dealer has to say, it might not be as bad as you think.  Could you splice the individual wires (blue with white stripe to blue with white stripe ect)  to get it going?   If that works, don`t just Scotchlock them, seal them up good.  

I`ve had luck with this in combine cab, maybe put tarp over tractor for winter with this under hood.

ACX35923807
Friend

Jump to solution

BA Deere, thank you for the quick response!  I appreciate your comments. Local John Deere repair shop says $3400 to replace the harness (based on 22 hours of labor). Cost and hours required seems high to me. However, I have no basis for comparison.This is what prompted me to ask if this could be a DIY project.  Have never re-wired a tractor. Made me think it must be a complicated project, considering all of the electronics on tractors these days. If it’s just splicing wires and plugging in connectors, then I can handle it. Thanks, too, for the product suggestion to keep those pesky rats at bay. 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Hey ACX, for $3400, I believe I would have them do it.  I don`t know if your tractor has a cab, that might  have to be removed, 22 hours seems like a lot of time, maybe check with another dealer?  They probably get $120/hr, that`d be $2500 labor and about $900 for wiring, which i wouldn`t doubt. 

I have a old 2390 Case 1982 and I had trouble with the wiring and just wired around the bad spots, to change that old tractor`s harness always looked tough to get at.

Good luck with it  🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos