cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Farmall 656 diesel repower

Has anyone ever repowered a farmall 656 diesel?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Farmall 656 diesel repower

No...but my next question is, "Why would you want to?". I'm confused...it can't be cheaper to try and substitute another engine in a 40 year old tractor, than it is to rebuild the one that's in it. Why do you want to switch?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The 292 diesel engine is one of IH's biggest blunders. I done a total rebuild at 3500 hours, and had to redo the head twice since.  Currently has about 7500 hours on it.  The head is the main problem.  They only use 4 head bolts per cylinder.  Diesel engines need 6 bolts per cylinder.  The head warps and cracks.  Another problem is the dry sleeves.  Harder to remove and install than wet sleeves. I don't care for the glow plugs either.  The only good points about this tractor is that it don't have a TA, it has a quick hitch, and you can run the PTO from standing on the ground behind it. Very handy on the auger, which is about the only thing I use it for. I had an IH mechanic put a rebuilt head on it 2 years ago and it dropped a valve last night while unloading corn.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I agree that motor was a dog...even though I know some people had good luck with it. I did a quick search through my IH Engines parts catalog...and it looks like the 282 engine was used in the 706 also. They then switched to the 310 engine in later 706 models. The 310 was used in 756, Hydro 86, and 686 tractors also..so there might be quite a few still out there. The biggest problem is getting a bell housing to match up, because I don't know if they used the same transmission and bell housing on the  656 and the 706. The 310 if I'm not mistake was one of the German designed diesels...basically a short stroked 358 like they used in the 826, 786, 886, and 1420 combine. From everything I've heard from other people...that was a hell of an engine, so if you can find one..and switch it out, you might be happy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I was just thinking about a few points you made in your reply. You say the head has cracked, and you had to replace it more than once. If I was a betting man, I would place a bet that your engine has never been removed from the tractor and had the deck (the top of the block where the head bolts to) surfaced. See, even though those motors weren't very strong...a head usually doesn't crack unless there's some undue kind of stress applied to it. That could come from overheating...or most likely from some irregularity in the top of the block. There are even some blocks (And I think I have one on a DT407) that the bolt holes for the head..actually are "ant hilled" or drawn up out of the block over time. This causes the head gasket to be too loose around the cylinder, and results in compression leaks over time. Another thing that will cause these heads and gaskets to fail...are bolts that have been torqued too often. A head bolt is supposed to stretch..somewhat like a spring when it is torqued down. In competition engines...they measure the bolt stretch on things like the rod bolts...so they know exactly how much torque they've applied. On some John Deere engines...guys had a problem rebuilding them..and the head gasket leaking...because one (or more) of the head bolts didn't go through the deck. They would get too much oil in the bolt hole...and when torquing it down..they felt it was tight, when the bolt was actually hydraulically stopped by the excess oil at the bottom of the hole.  It might be a problem that could be remedied without an engine switch...if you find the engine switch to be too involved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Did you consider an engine out of a 656 gas?  If you don't put many hours on it, or pull it hard, it might be a consideration.

The engine will bolt right up, and fit all mounts and the bell housing.

The reason I say this is we have a 656 gas on a loader, and it starts down to zero, even if you forget to plug it in, and has something like 11,000 hours, and the engine has been apart only once.  About the only re-occuring problem I have had in the last 20 years with it, is the valve cover gasket seems to leak every 5-6 years.  I start this tractor at least once a day from December to May feeding cattle, and it always seems to start & run.  I personally think if your uses cause you to start it up, run it a little, then shut it off, to do it again, the gas engine will likely actually hold up better than the diesel.  It doesn't take a lot of effort to find a 656 gas donor engine around here, especially if you are willing to rework the engine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I put an engine out of a 715 combine in mine. Had to swap end plates because of the hydralic pump on the 715 engine. Mine is a 283. I think the 301 [?] is the same engine with no sleeves.

0 Kudos