cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: First farm tractor

8-N Ford   First i bought was a used 806

0 Kudos

First tractor that i bought was a 1974 1855 oliver.

First tractor I drove was a 445 mineapolis moline pulling a new holland super 78 baler. I was 6. Still have the baler. On that tractor the clutch pushed down instead of forward and I could get my weight over the clutch. I think i would take my foot and push the "torgue" lever 'cause wasn't strong enough to push with my arm.

No molines left here and no olivers.

0 Kudos
jsgfarms
Contributor

The first tractor I drove was a Oliver 77 standard. It was also the first tractor my wife drove (she was a townie); it has been fully restored and is owned by an Oliver collector 4 miles down the road; I asked for first right of refusal and he said yes, I would be the first one he calls when he is ready to sell it; The first tractor I bought was a used 766 International (no cab ); we used it for planting corn, running the small square baler, and put a blade on it for packing the pit silo; JD green at this farm now.

farm032014 076.jpg

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Not sure what the first one was. Dad tried to get me to mow hay with a 8n and #5 is mower. Grandma rescued me and took over and fixed the mistakes.I was five. First was either a 8n or a B jd was not big enough for the m' s .

First purchased was a 200AC used, no cab. Back half is still here.

Heavy work is now a row crop tracked Cat.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

First tractor driven was an 8N Ford used just for grading the driveway with a 3pt back blade and also performing light loader work. The loader lift was hydraulic but the bucket was a trip bucket and had to be lowered all the way to reset the pin. As a kid, I considered myself very lucky to be able to grade the driveway. I think I was around 6 when I started driving it.

First farm tractor driven was either a 930 open station Case or an 856 International with a factory rear entry cab. The Case would get about an extra .5MPH road speed if you would depress the throttle pedal going down the road. Anyone with one of those models will probably attest to that. The 856 on the other hand would run like a stripped a__ ape down the road. That thing had about 12K hours on it and the engine was never touched. We did replace several clutches due to heavy loader use and excess shifting.

My first tractor purchased was a 7140 CIH Magnum. We purchased it the first year they were produced and it is an '87 model. I've still got it today and it is my primary workhorse. I had it completely restored in 2010 and it brought it back to nearly new condition.

Lots of fond memories on all 4 of the above listed tractors.
0 Kudos
hardwayfarmer
Veteran Contributor

The first tractor I drove to actually do any work was a 1956 Massey Harris Ferguson 50 Dad bought in 1959. We still have and use it regularly.  It has a brown belly instead of the gray belly that started when Harris was dropped from the name and the tractors were just Massey Ferguson.  3 generations have driven it, and soon I hope to get the 4th one on it for a picture at least.  The engine lost oil pressure in about 1990 and I parked it, not having both time and money at the same time to fix it.  Our son needed a project tractor for his last semester of ag mechanics at Owens Community College in Toledo, OH.  Between Christmas '01 and New Years '02 we rented a U-Haul car hauler trailer and took it to school and dropped it off, with his tool box.  I bought parts as needed at our local dealer and had them drop-shipped to his apartment near the school.  He left no bolt unturned in the engine and transmission.  When he was done we drove over, rented the same U-Haul trailer, and hauled it home again.

The first tractor I bought was a brand-new IH 574 40 years ago this month.  The only brand-new tractor I've ever owned.  We still use it regularly, too.  Our son overhauled it on Christmas break 2003-2004.

Both have gas engines, and both have well over 5000 hours on them. 

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

First driven was 255 Massey Ferguson. The first few years was just holding the steering wheel straight while dad and help picked up small square bales or tobacco.
First purchased was Deere 4320, which was 30 years old and had 7000 hours on it when I bought it.
0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

First tractor driven growing up.....VAC Case with 1-16 bottom plow.   First tractor purchased....F-20  Farmal , 1938 model.

John

0 Kudos
Jessie_Scott_SF
Veteran Contributor

Thanks for the great feedback everybody! Here's an article I put together with some of the reponses and photos: http://www.agriculture.com/machinery/tractors/used-tractor/first-time-driving-a-tract_200-ar44530.

Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos

1155 Massey   1975 bought used in 1980.

0 Kudos