cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: First time semi buyer

Yeah, I forgot to add also look for high clearance hoppers on the trailer with strap traps. They crank much easier and faster than gears, and the extra clearance is a must for dumping into an auger or coming in and out of a field or ditch.

Also, not sure where you are shopping, but www.truckpaper.com is an easy way to truck shop from the desk chair. Click detailed search, and enter what you are looking for.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Not to cause a dispute but the new vs. used thing is something that can go either way. I bought a 1996 DMF trailer last summer. It had been sheded, tires are in good shape and brakes had been redone. If all your going to put is a couple 100 miles on it a year does buying new really make sense? i payed 12,000 for my 34' A new one would run what, close to 24000 now? Its going to take along time to put 12,000 dollars worth of repairs into it. Even new tires and brakes would only run 6000 or so and would last forever at those low of miles. A new tarp as long as everything else is in good condition should be under 1000. One thing about a trailer is you get to see everything, its easy to measure if the tires and brakes are in good shape, tarp? climb to the top and take a look. as for welds, well if you buy a trailer that has cracks and has been welded before then your just digging the hole urself. A trailer is very easy to look over in a matter of a few minutes. I would spend less on a trailer and invest more into a nicer truck, or at least save the money to prepare urself to make repairs to the truck. Alot more can go wrong with it. If money is not a concern well i only wish i was in that situation haha.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Don't know if you are close to a Taylor Martin auction but you can get some good buys. We have bought 3 Walmart trucks ranging from $13000 to $20000. We have 2000 9200, 02 9200, 05 9400. Best buy 2 years ago the 05 for $13000. 550000 miles. These trucks are going for 18 to 22 now. Walmart trucks have good maintenance. You can choose between IH Freightliner or Peterbuilts.

0 Kudos
Contributor

You are right about Walmart maintenance. But you guys that are worried about having to have 390 or 411 with 30' and 34' trailers must be a bunch of ram rods drivers. We here in Michigan might and could use them, but we do pull alot more weight then you guys can dream of. One of our trucks is a Pete with a 550 Sped 355 and it pulls  1 26' and a 20' with 78" sides to haul roughly 1750 bu. Another one is a KW 475 18  390 it pulls 1 28" by 72" sides and 1 25' 72 " side for 2000 bu. All you guys need is some knowledge of driving and common sense .  

But for Bridge law  we have a 41 Ft hopper we needed a 200" plus wheel base truck for that..

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Any truck with an M11 and a 10 speed like these guys are wanting is no comparison at all to a 550 cat with an 18 speed. I'd like to see 2000 bushel behind an M11. Rear ends matter when you don't have a train engine under the hood.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Rear ends matter when you don't have a train engine under the hood

Excellent point, and I think it brings out a few considerations.  The Wal-mart trucks are built for economy.  If you run 100,000 mile a year and can increase mileage from 4.5 MPG to 5 MPG you save 2222 gallons of fuel. (note I am just pulling numbers from the air for comparison)  If I run 5000 it is 111 gallons.  Now that is still an important dollar amount to me.  But for me getting the job done is more important than fuel economy.

For you it may be most important to have aluminum wheels and nice paint job.  For someone else it may be having the biggest engine.  Someone else may value net weight as the most important thing.  An awful lot of this is perception.

I have spent most of a lifetime driving old Chevy's with 366 engines.  I got one with a 427 and thought it was a monster.  Then I got a KW made into a 10 wheeler with a ... I think it was a 3406.  Big ugly yellow thing under the hood that ran like a scared rabbit when you put an 18 ft bed on back.  I probably made more money with the 76 Chevy single axle with a 366 and a 16 ft bed.

Look at all the ideas thrown at you, get an idea of what you want, and go buy a truck.  The first one is always a mistake.  That or you later find the mistake was trading it off.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Low gear ratios differ quite a bit on different transmissions. An 18 speed can be had with a double reduction low gear...and start a load with a 3.23 rear end ratio. But if you aren't located in a state where your loads can reach 160,000 lbs. you look for a transmission that isn't as heavy as an 18 speed. You try to lighten up the truck..with smaller displacement engines...aluminum crossmembers, wheels..and smaller fuel tanks. I've run trucks alongside sugar beet harvestors since 1974..and I'm pretty sure I've got an idea of what you need to get a truck started in soft dirt. If you never drive off the lane or road...and grain cart everything to the truck...heck you can probably get by with one of those 3.07 axle ratios. But with a final gear ratio out of a transmission at direct drive..a 3.90 ratio rear end..with standard 11.00-22.5 tires...will make the engine turn 1525 RPM @ 55 mph. I think you'd be looking at around 1350-1375..if you went with 11.00-24.5 tires...and various speeds in between for the metric sizes. If you wish for more speed...you go up in ratio (lower number) and then look for more ratio in your transmission to get rolling. It's a confusing issue...one that isn't made any easier by the hundreds of different combinations of ratios, overdrives and underdrives available out there. But if I were looking for a ratio for a farm truck...I'll still go with a 3.90-4.10. Simply because most transmissions without double reduction low gears will run out far enough to provide good mileage making RPMs out of the engine.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Mike, I thought i was the last guy to still run tandems.  I have one that is a converted semi tractor. L-10 cummins with a 13 speed  in an L-9000 ford. that L10 would be too small for a semi trailer, but fine for a 20' box. One thi ng about these old semi grain trucks is that when you let out the clutch, in the field, they will go ahead. My next one will have an automatic so my wife can drive it. Maybe valentines day next year.

0 Kudos
Advisor

We are moving away from them just because of capacity.  We are a mostly 2 man show.With the old combine I could keep up with 2 single axle trucks and a 10 wheeler.  This fall we has 3 10 wheelers and a single axle tractor/trailer and 2 drivers (a friend was between jobs and bored to tears setting at home)  and just barely kept up.  We have upgraded to a couple bigger tractor/trailers and my "Old Baby" 10 wheeler.  I had it for sale but I think I'm going to keep it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
roadkill
Veteran Reader

Go air ride on both ends. For $100 each and some hoses and fittings you can have scales. Really valuable especially if you ever have to cross a weigh station on your way to the elevator or feedlot.