cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Re: First time semi buyer

i hate to throw a curve in this but some companies are putting a direct ratio in high gear so the rear end ration has to be in the 2.90 to 3.08 range to get any hiway speed. so all the ratios in the tranny are different it all comes out in the wash

roadkill
Veteran Reader

Very true. We have several Ex Walmart trucks they all have 10 spd direct drives with a 2.64 rear ratio. They're more fuel efficient than an od tranny running 3.36 or 3.55 gears
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

All really good points.  I really appreciate everything.  I haven't got one bought yet.  I really don't have the bushels nor the miles to really justify owning a semi but yet a different strait truck I can get lots of money in one.  The old trucks that I got are old chevys that still have the combination grain/livestock boxe on them which is nice since I can haul cattle and don't need to have a 3/4 pickup around just for that.   The piont I'm making is that I can't get a strait truck to replace what I have so I thought a semi would be the way to go.  

Again thanks for all the advice.  It really does help.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Plenty of straight trucks around here, with combo boxes on them for sale, both single axle, and tandem axle. 
Finding a really nice one, is a little tougher.  However, anyone I know who runs a semi says that if you think you can put a lot of money into a straight truck, you haven't seen anything until you've seen a semi break down.

0 Kudos