cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Flats on tag axle

I am running a C65 tandem and getting a lot of flats on the rear axle.  This is my first year for a tandem, is this a normal problem or what can I do to help this?  Would putting an additional mudflap between the axles help, and have it almost touching the ground?

Thanks in advance,

John

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Flats on tag axle

One thought comes to mind. Because the tag axle isn't a "driver" we usually don't pay that much attention to the tread on those tires...and worn tires will always pick up more hardware than newer better grooved tires. I do believe that the second axle will almost always catch more flats than the first axle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

It's normal especially if you run a lot of gravel roads.  Get used to it.  New tires do help some, but after purchasing eight new tires I found I could expect to change tires twice a day on a five mile stretch of gravel leading to the elevator.  Pretty extreme.  Went to a short semi with single axle tractor and trailer, no more problems.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Are you tag axles air equipped with air bags for down pressure. If they are are you getting enough air in the bags, because if you arent you could be sliding the tire on the rim.

0 Kudos