cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reader

For the Future Farmer

Farmers are always trying to get more out of thier dollar and thier equipment!!!

If you are one of these farmers, i am interested in knowing how long in (acres or seasons) farmers change out thier Tru-Vee blades also known as Furrow Opener Blades

Thanks and looking forward to the information

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: For the Future Farmer

When they wear out, LOL I got my planter used, and it needed new blades, and they aren't wore out yet. I plan to change them at the recommended wear point, and for two reasons. If run too long they wear out the drop tube. If run too long, depth accuracy will suffer, and just a few BPA at today's prices will justify replacement.
0 Kudos
Reader

i see, i am also located in Nebraska.  I am currently working with a farmer in Illinois that farms 5000 acres there.  He also farms about 28000 acres in Brazil.  I am working on a product that will increase the life of the blades to keep that seed depth more consistant for a longer peroid of time.  That is why i am curious in how long they last you, i have talked to some farmers and they last them two to three seasons.  It all depends on soil type, acres planted, and till or no-till. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Ok I see where you are coming from. I got the planter used, the guy had about 600 acres a year, and it was 10 or 12 years old when the openers were shot. I think the reason they lasted so long was because he had a coulter rigged to cut a slot in front of the true vees about half the planting depth. Worked really well to prevent hair pinning of the openers, and saved a lot of wear on them.
0 Kudos
Reader

yeah, the reason some of the individuals dont run that coulter is becuase of the moisture that gets lost when it creates that intial trench.  It really spreads the ground apart.  Depending on what wave you use is also a factor, but i am running into alot of farmers that are not using that front coulter.  Do you see a need for these blades to last longer, potentially i am working on them to last double the life they do now. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I run the narrowest coulter I can find. In fact, I'm thinking of trying a smooth one on one row, just to see if it would work. Generally here we have too much moisture early, and not enough in July/Aug. The coulter really helps in continuous corn and no tilling in inhaled wheat stubble. Since I do far more of that than bean ground, I run them. I am always interested in ways o get more life from components.
0 Kudos
Reader

i will keep in touch and let you know how everything turns out in Brazil, hopefully we will have a product that will be very useful to farmers.

Thanks for the responses

0 Kudos