cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Good older farm dozer

Yes, everyone just thought......why not a skid steer!  Well, I did have one a while back and found it to be lacking on the heavier earth moving type projects.  Since then, I have acquired a backhoe , but some of the road building and other projects I need it for would benefit by the weight and compacting the dozer provides.  I have found a couple older deeres, a 440 diesel and a 350b.  The machines seem simple enough to operate and work on.  Cat has some nice smaller machines but are usually pricier.  Wondering what experience folks have had in the past.  The 440 has a detroit 2-53 diesel, but a completely refurbished track system.  The 350 is just a few dollars more, but more modern and the reverser is functional.  The 440 has a reverser also, but is on a pallet.....when it failed the owner replaced it with a solid shaft.  Other dozers are out there as well....ac, drott etc.  Not sure of parts acess to them though.  My deere dealer just down the road can still get parts for the deere.  Just looking for input on a nasty cold icey day.  TIA for help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Good older farm dozer

IMO, Deere never made a track machine worth sitting on. Have seen a pile of little 450's tore apart. Clutches and final drives mostly.
If you're going to move dirt, get a cat. A D3 is big enough to do light push work, but really lacks the weight for anything more than burning a brush pile. Also, you'll find road grading is much easier with a heavier, longer machine.
May want to consider a track loader rather than a dozer. Being able to lift and carry is a huge bonus if you only want one tracked machine. 939 is a small loader that really performs for its size. You can still do some grading if you back drag and take your time.
Just like everything else, you get what you pay for!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've often thought in my part of the country (southern Ohio) a dozer was as usefull as a tractor. However I have never owned one. I think I'd like to have at least a Deere 550 or Cat D4.
0 Kudos
Advisor

How about a late model dresser td8 any good
0 Kudos