cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Great Plains Drill

I am considering the purchase of a Great Plains 3N-3010P no-till drill as a replacement for my CIH 1200 planter and my JD 9300 hoe drills.  I am being told by the local dealer that the drill would have as much accuracy as the 1200 planter.  Does anyone have any experience using one of these in place of a planter?  I was told I could change out the seeding plates to drill HRW wheat, then block off some rows and still use on 30" milo.  I would like to be able to use one piece of machinery for all my planting needs.  Is this a wise decision?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Great Plains Drill

I used to use a GP drill for beans and wheat.   An older '95 model.  I have yet to see a drill as accurate as a planter for both seeding rate and depth control.   The drill I had couldn't hold a candle to a planter but it didn't have the features the one you are looking at does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I was hoping some of the new features would eliminate some of the older concerns.  Several producers around my area are switching away from planters to use no-till drills, for the same reason I am considering it.  I would like to reduce my equipment dollars by using more universal equipment.  I felt the planter/drill would be the best place to start.  If it makes any difference, I am 100% dryland with no corn, I am a winter wheat and grain sorghum producer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

We have a 40' great plains and love it for wheat but after this year, remembered why we started to use a planter for beans. The population is rarely where it needs to be and the depth control stinks. So in short, it's great for small grain crops, stinks for everything else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I'm not sure if depth control will be on issue for me.  I always swath & bale the stubble from my previous crop.  We don't raise any livestock, but we have a neighbor that feeds around 1000+ head of cattle and since our acres are all within about 3 miles of his operation he always buys all of our wheat stubble & milo stover.  This works well for my operation because my fields are usually kept pretty clean with the sprayer.  This being said, I normally wont be fighting all the residue from the previous crop to interrupt with depth control.  The price he pays me for the haying, usually pays about 80% of the following crops fertilizer bill.  I've been told I will be sorry for the loss of organic matter, but we are in the 4th year doing this, and our yields have been slowly improving.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

From my experience planting depth with wheat isn't as critical as with corn and soybeans.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

The rule of thumb is you lose 30 bucks worth of potash per acre for every ton of straw removed.  Wheat following wheat will do better if the straw is baled off from my experience.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Thanks for the info.  I am converting from a wheat-wheat-milo-fallow rotation to a wheat-milo-fallow rotation.  Doing this has reduced my wheat acres from 50% to 33%, but after a full cycle of rotation, my bushels cut has remained unchanged or in a couple of farms has actually increased both wheat and milo yields.  Theoretically I am always cutting crops following a fallow period.  I prefer this on dryland as I am not over working the land.  I've been speaking to a couple of no-tillers and they are trying to get me to implement a cover crop system to my fallow acres.  Not completely sold yet, but may consider it on a few acres.  By removing all the previous crop residue, I think a no-till drill might work as good as a planter on my milo acres.  I've got an off the farm job that averages about 50 hours a week.  I do believe the 30' drill vs. an 8 row 30" planter will allow me to cover more acres in the time windows I have to get my crops in the ground.  Just trying to find out what would be the best drill for my needs.

0 Kudos