cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Great Plains corn planters

Anybody have experience with Great Plains corn planters? I have been doing a little planter shopping lately and saw a couple Great Plains planters for sale. Are they good planters or junk? Im looking for a 12 row 30 inch planter. Does Case IH carry Great Plains parts? Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Great Plains corn planters

There are a few GP planters in my area, but not much corn planted mainly beans and milo. I too would like to try a GP planter. Preferably a 12 row 30" twin row. Hoping I can find a decent used one that might need a little work to shave off a couple bucks. As far as CIH carrying parts would probably depend on whether or not that CIH dealer is also a GP dealer.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Shaggy, I looked into local GP dealers and turns out a few local New Holland dealers are also GP dealers. I found a GP planter online prced right. The planter looks like its well built and simple, but I hate to trade a good planter for a lemon. I have a 7200 Deere that is in very good condition for its age, but its not set up for no-till. Have your neighbors had their GP planters for a while or are they just trying them out. I do like the idea of twin rows, I see GP also has a planter setup that allows the farmer to set a probox on the planter instead of loading a central fill box. 

Thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

He's had it 3 maybe 4 years. 12 row 30" stacker fold. Seems like it does a good job but keep in mind we only have about half the residue to deal with. Not sure if I'd want the pro box setup in place of the 82 bushel hopper, seems like you'd always be stopping to fill. Just my opinion. But I do like the placement and configuration of the 400 gallons of on board liquid fertilizer tanks. Another thing that caught my eye was the lower hydraulic requirements, I'm thinking my 7140 would work just fine as long as I have the horsepower.
0 Kudos