cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dunnsara

Great Plains turbo till???

how do these work on corn stalks? wanting to chew them up and leave alot of the residue on top and plant in it next spring. should a person look at one with the rolling harrow and chopper, or just the 5 bar drag. these machines any more aggressive then salfords. thanks for any help .marty

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: Great Plains turbo till???

From what I've seen the Turbo Till is a very aggressive tool, especially with the rolling harrow and chopper. Much more so than the Salford. My problem with that..is how many stalks and husks are going to end up in the fencerow and ditch. A Salford run straight down the row may cut and size the downed stalks and husks...but the stumps are still going to be standing up from the root balls..and that should help hold some of the stalks in place. The Turbo Till will stir the stumps right down to the root ball, and you won't have anything left to hold the stalks in the field.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I saw a Great Plains tool at a dealer yesterday called a Turbo Chopper.  It had a very agressive looking rolling basket behind the coulters.  I think this is a different tool than the turbo till, not an added attachment.

0 Kudos
ne 50
Veteran Contributor

used a turbo chopper last year.... straight blades followed by chopper blades followed with rolling baskets.... worked great.. baskets packet the residued down to keep if from blowing/ or so much movement...  worked good... started by running 9 ot 10 inches deep on an angle to the rows found 4 to 6 worked just as good and pulled much easier....  good heavy machine...

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

How many horsepower per foot would you recommend?

0 Kudos
mjander
Friend

Have a great plains turbo till and have used for 2 years, like the way it works but have problems with residue blowing off the fields.  I don't know if any adjustments can be made to alleviate this problem or not. 

0 Kudos