cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Re: Greatest Tractors of All Time . . .let the debate begin!!!!!!

Dave my friend....great post!  For any folks out there pushing the IHC 1066 as the GREATEST TRACTOR of all time.....here's video I shot today (June 12, 2010) of an IHC 1066 with only 3,186 hours selling on a farm retirement auction in northeast Nebraska:

Pete

www.machinerypete.com

0 Kudos
Contributor

JD 4020 & 4430, I think Pete would comfirm that they still bring the best resale decades after manufacturing, & not just for rare low hour ones, but any decent one.  We have been green since Dad bought his first 4020, still have the tractor on the farm.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Oliver Fleetline

Oliver 44-99 is my nomination and vote.  Forerunner of the Super Series and the infamous John Deere 10 line. 

Still use the 77 to pull move smaller stuff and run augers.

Ed Winkle141i26AD154B7D0327F6142iA5E51304CF2D2BF0

Contributor

I would have to vote for my black stripe 1066, SWEET tractor.

This is a pic of the day I brought it home.144i6B1AB2320C798977

Highlighted
760diehard
Veteran Reader

I grew up on a Ford Power Major (English Ford), diesel, pulled 3 bottoms, 12 foot disc, we overhauled it 3 times until could do so no longer, then bought a Super Power Major, sips fuel, sets low to the ground, still have the Super, bush hog with it every once in a while, noisy Sims pump.  Went through a 445 Moline, a 190XT, Allis and finally stuck with 970 and  1370 case, but the Ford is still my favorite. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Re: Greatest Tractors of All Time . . Let the debate begin!!!!!!

I would have to say the 1066 is a good tractor.  Another great is the 7 and 8 thousand series case ih magnums.  These tractors just keep on working, low maintenance and repairs and are easy to operate.  I don't own JD tractors but I must say that those 4440s must be good too.  The people that have them just keep on running them.

The 1066 has really started to fall out of favor..clutches and TA where commonly needing replaced in these.  And the motors only seem to run about 4000 hours give or take. 

0 Kudos
cubsfan
Frequent Visitor

Put 12,000 hours on an 856, replaced T/A and clutch once. Have gone green since but wow what a durable tractor. Had good luck with a 1486 too. Wish IH was still around.

0 Kudos
Contributor

How bout that Chevy 4 x 4 Pick-up that in TV Commercials was plow'n  with a 4 bottom plow in Missouri Bottomland!?!?

0 Kudos
jaytbmf
Visitor

I feel the AC - WD45 was the best that company ever produced.  we still use the tractor on the farm full time.  It was purchased in 1955 and was my fathers only tractor for 6 years.  we have gone through multiple Fords and John Deere's over the years , but the WD45 just keeps working year after year

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Good tractor.  Had to pull the neighbors out all the time with the 77 or Super 77.  The farmer was jealous of our live PTO.  I really liked the power crater engine in the AC but it didn't ride nor drive like the Olivers.

Personal bias...