cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Greatest Tractors of All Time . . .let the debate begin!!!!!!

We have a JD 4955 with almost 15000 hrs and have not been into the engine or transmission.  We have only had minor problems and I love this tractor for its efficiency and durablility.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Chalk me up for Cockshutt 40.  Have a '49 and a '51.  This was the series (actually the cockshutt 30 in 1946) that introduced live power PTO.  Buda 6B230 still purrs like a kitten.  I have been told cockshutt rear ends were used a lot in early custom built pulling tractors due to their strength. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

JD 4020 OR JD4440.

0 Kudos
Brian1206
Visitor

Re: Greatest Tractors of All Time . . Let the debate begin!!!!!!

I think the IH 1206 was the best tractor. It was one of the first 100+ hp tractors made. One of those old beast that loves to bellow in the field.

0 Kudos
swkfarmer
Senior Reader

4020 John Deere. Seems no matter the brand a farmer favors every farmer over 60 had or ran a 4020.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Greatest Tractors of All Time . . Let the debate begin!!!!!!

IN the eastern USdairy regions, the JD B ,30s to early 50s,  low cost reliable, brought great benefit .

Small tractor but 100s of thousands were put to use.

Way better than Fords, massey of the day.

2C built fo diesel, ran and ran.

Artifice.

0 Kudos
GrundyBoy

ksfarmboy has it right: the Farmall H is it!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Got to say allas chalmers  185  then oliver 1655.  There still doing a lot of work here

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Following this thread with some interest to primarily see whom wins the day's popularity contest.  I'm simply amazed to see nominations that didn't even register a blip on the sales chart.  Although will agree this depends on a manufacturer's market coverage, I still believe if a particular model was indeed the greatest tractor, than it would eventually have some impact; e.g., if Cockshutt had made a "4020" they would have elevated their market  penetration from almost non-existent to possibly a minor player.   Other nominations include those whose manufacturers had great coverage, yet that model didn't even dominate the market during the time it was being produced.   Perhaps we need to re-label this thread to: "tractors that were good which few farmers ever bought and/or tractors that were never universally recognized for their potential.

If this is to be a "popularity contest" I'll include one of my favorites, the MM G1000 Vista, although full well know it isn't the greatest tractor.  If it is the other shade of green, probably the model 70 which hit with a splash but didn't have staying power.  If it must be IH red, I wouldn't kick with adding the H/M and the Magnum.  The Achilles heel of the Magnum is comparing longevity to the JD 4020 which being built much earlier has a considerable lead.   The other red is likely the model 35 or it's replacement the 135 which were world wide sellers.  Wouldn't kick much about the 4430 but think the 4440 was better.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I would agree with the Farmall H also.  Brings back memories of DAd getting mad everytime he caught me racking hay in road gear!  Just slow down, wait till he turns his back and away we go again!  Then smile when I get caught, those were some fun days.

0 Kudos