cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: Greatest Tractors of All Time . . .let the debate begin!!!!!!

1100 series Massey Ferguson    Good power, reliable, economical.

0 Kudos
SideHill3X
Frequent Contributor

Let us give some consideration to the Cockshutt family from Canada. Considering they only made the decision to enter the tractor market during the second half of WWII, they made some significant contributions to agriculture. They pioneered live PTO in the mid 1940's on tractors, produced variable speed self propelled combines, had a prototype rotary combine in the late 1950's and were ready to produce a 100 hp row crop tractor by 1962. Not a bad record for about 20 years of work by your engineering department.

0 Kudos
hymark
Frequent Contributor

The White combine that never made it to the factory became the Gleaner and Massey of today, very innovative design.  Did Cockshutt invent live PTO or Oliver?  Doesn't matter, both were way ahead of their time.  Oliver 70 was the first inline 6 and soon became the Cockshutt 70.  That was the first tractor I owned.  I never cared for the Continental and thought the Oliver designed Waukesha and Cockshutt Buda were far advanced.  I got 100 hp out of an 88 in 1973 and the Cockshutt 570 gas would turn 100 HP easily, both ran that way for many many years and some still pull the antique circuit.  If I were Canadian I would no doubt vote Cockshutt, great company.

0 Kudos
Gifford
Contributor

For me the Cockshutt 570 Diesel.  Priors were John Deere D, B, G. 70 D, 720 D.  Oliver 77 diesel with live power woke me up and dealer offered the Cockshutt 570 Diesel with full warrantee for a year and so  I tried it.  Up to 24 hours a day with it, road construction pulling sheepsfoot during day and 5 16s and other jobs at night.  Fantastic sawmill tractor connecting pto direct to mill shaft as RPM direction and speed was perfect and with 54 inch blade we could saw lumber.  With all that abuse dealer only had to replace one front wheel bearing.  Probably an assembly defect.  Gifford

0 Kudos
ksfarmboy
Contributor

IHC Farmall H in the Cornbelt, hands down.

acfarmer
Veteran Contributor

I think most companies all made one or two tractors that was really popular. I think it would be hard to narrow it down to one tractor being the greatest. With that said I would have to vote for a allis chalmers wd-45 , Or a steiger st310-325 for big tractor power.

Roy_Smith
Frequent Contributor

JD 4440 Power shift, extended axles, triple hydraulics, SGB. The only thng I would change would be to have the 15 speed power shift instead of 8 speed. Have had the tractor 27 years and it has never been overhauled or had major repairs. Very few electronics to screw up. SGB makes it very comfortable to drive. It will be in my estate some day for the next operator!!! Side note: The Olivery 70 that is on the front page of my website, soyroy.com, is a pretty tractor but does not get my vote for greatest of all time....  Soyroy

0 Kudos
hymark
Frequent Contributor

Now it's  hard to argue with that reply, Gifford.  They were pretty, strong and long lasting and made you money.

Ed

0 Kudos
Artifice
Senior Contributor

Re: Greatest Tractors of All Time . . Let the debate begin!!!!!!

JD  B

did for tractors what the model a did for cars.

SO many built and so reliable.

artifice

0 Kudos
M&M Ag
Contributor

John Deere 4020 Diesel. We farm 6000 ac but still have one and use it all the time.

0 Kudos