cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Hank held GP units...elevation accuracy?

looking for a tool to help lay out tile lines , so I know how deep I need to go and whether some runs are even possible. Will a hand held GPS unit, like a Garmin Etrex work for this?

How accurate are they? Want something accurate to an inch or so.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Hank held GP units...elevation accuracy?

I don`t think they`d be accurate enough, they're 3 yards or so and take things like barometric pressure into account.  Maybe get a rotary laser level?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

must be some that are fairly accurate....had a construction project done years ago and the company was using one to see what the relative elevations was.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have a hand held Etrex 20 Garmin I use for measuring odd shaped fields.  I works good for that.  Today I was checking it for elevation and it was jumping up and down 2 to 3 feet when I was standing still. So, I would not recommend this model for your tile job.  There just may be other models out there that will work but for sure your tile has to work.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

thanks

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Agree BA, I too wanted to "play" with a couple elevation things, used the Ag Leader monitor from combine and it was within a foot, but the garmins

and ravens were very unreliable for it.  We could drive to the same spot how ever many times you wanted and it would be a different number for

elevation, now distance, they all seemed to be right on.  Rotary Lazer was what we used, was able to borrow from a plumber who sets septic tanks and

runs sewer lines. We looked at the less/cheaper units and chickened out for the borrowed unit...

0 Kudos