cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!! Combine Blew Up

Motor blew up on my Case Ih 2344 combine.  Any idea what a reman 5.9 will cost me installed?  The 2344 is basically the same as the 2366 except for the motor.  Is there any reason I can't put a 2366 motor (can't remember the size offhand) in my 2344 combine?  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Advisor

Re: Help!!! Combine Blew Up

Might be the same size rotor..but check the clean grain elevator size..and drive speed. A 2366 will handle an 8 row head at 3.5 mph..and a 2344 won't come close. The difference between the motors is what makes this a difficult conversion. The 8.3 liter in the 2366 is quite a bit larger, with different bell housings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Found out it could probably be done, but at too much cost.  Motor mounts, fan cowling, etc. would all have to be adapted.  Decided to replace motor and trade in.   Have a new 5088 ordered for next year.  Looking forward to the extra 100 + - horsepower.   A reman 5.9 is a little over $7000 plus labor - our block had 2 holes in it, so that was an extra 1000 for the exchange. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I love my 8.3 liter Cummins..but for some reason I've never liked that 5.9 liter. I know at least one RoGater that cracked the block on one..and the service guy told them it happens quite frequently. I didn't buy one of the MX170 series tractors ..specifically because it had the 5.9 liter in it. I finally broke down and bought a MX155..with the New Holland 7.5 liter in it..and am very impressed so far. It had a little over 1200 hours on it when I bought it..and at 1350..I changed oil in it. That was before field work got started this spring. I fertilized, sprayed, and ran all my anhydrous with that tractor..and didn't put a drop of oil in it in 220 hours. The oil change interval is supposed to be 300 hours according to the manual...but I'm certainly going to try to change it a little more often if it continues with that kind of oil consumption. That really impressed me.

0 Kudos