cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

High Hour 4450 VS. High hour 7220 Case

I know these two tractors are hard to compare. Bout ten years difference and a different weight bracket. But i looked at a 4450 JD with MFWD and two remotes that was mostly used as a baleing tractor. Paint is in good shape and tractor looks sound and sounds good. 7700 hours on the tractor and we will be putting only around 700 on a year or so. Useing it for haying also but also heavy farm work, disking drilling and spraying. Asking 32,000

2nd tractor is a 7220 Case ih with 10,000 hours on it. Again MFWD, two remotes, it has been completly reconditioned as far as exterior paint and interior. It weights about 2,ooo lbs more and is a ft longer or so longer but again very good condition. Asking 45,000

The 4450 is alot more similar to our 4430 that we are running now. It has a narrow front on it then the case does feels more nimble for haying. But i was comfortable in both. Both had their 15 and 18 speed powershift transmissions respectivily. though the case goes 1 mph faster and the 3 more speeds gives more variation.

Really stuck on this decision so any help or comments i would be thankful for.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: High Hour 4450 VS. High hour 7220 Case

I think you'll be happiest with the Deere. Not because it's a better tractor...I'd rate the wear on the two engines to be almost identical even with disimilar hours. But you already are comfortable with Deeres...you've already said it's "handier"...and you probably have more history with Deeres. I like the Magnum tractors..I have two of them. If you were considering using this tractor for mostly tillage..or a heavy planter..I'd go with the Magnum. But for hay work....lighter and handier seems to be the way to go. Only thing that bothers me...is the fuel we're having to use today...is the older tractor's injection system up to the task of running with less lubrication. Take the difference in price...buy the Deere...pull the engine and put a clutch in it....(If those Powershift Deere's have a main clutch), Do an engine rebuild...and you've got a hell of a lot of tractor with hours to use for a long time.

0 Kudos
infire
Veteran Contributor

I don't know for sure but your filters & other spare parts may swap between the 2 deeres atleast some, also the JD will turn shorter & sounds like you could run it for 3 years before it would equal the 72's hrs. personnally I bleed red but the 44 wins this debate.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I think I have read in this forum before that early 50 series FWA axles are foreign made and not as good as later 50 series front axles supplied by Deere.  That may be something you'd want to look into.  Again, it's just I have heard. 

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I'd vote the Deere, as well.  Neighbor on one side runs a Magnum, the one on the other side runs a '55' series JD. 
The Magnum is bigger,  heavier, and takes more room to turn, not good attributes for haying.
Now, if you were doing more heavy work, with some haying on the side, I'd probably say Magnum. 

The Magnum DOES have a bigger, roomier cab, but if you are comfy in the JD you have, you'll be fine in the other.  Somewhere along the line, the Magnums added a 'instructor' seat in the cab, a small cushioned seat, that while not comfy for a long haul, is a convenient way for 2 people to get to and from the field.  I just can't remember if the 7X20 series has them yet, or if it wasn't added until the newer ones.

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

The 7220 i looked at didnt have an instructors seat, but yes much more roomy, i get along alright with our 4430, its the seat more than anything that makes anytime sitting in that tractor a long day, ive looked into getting an air ride for it, its around 700 dollars or so, might be worth it. The 4450 was sold before i could make a decision, but i think for the time being im going to keep looking at 4450's and 4455's if i can get one of those, then maybe in a few years if we get a bigger drill or for some reason needed a heavier tractor ill go back to looking at the magnums.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I have a neighbor that I helped plant beans this spring, I got to drive his 4455, and I noticed that the powershift is smoother on it, than his 4450.  I don't know if the 55 series normally shifts smoother, or if it was just a difference between those two, but it might be worth checking out.  I guess the differences are more pronounced in a low-load situation such as when pulling a swing tongue swather or baler than a high-load situation when pulling a disk.

Oh, and the Magnums I have driven shift smoother than either of them, if that is a factor.

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

Yeah, i have driven a few JD powershifts and i drove ONE magnum and thats all i needed to know i wanted a magnum with a powershift if i ever had the chance to buy one, def much smoother.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I ran into the nrighbor with the Magnum (7210 ir 7220, can't remember which) and he told me that with his Magnum, you can just stick it in which gear you want, and it will upshift to it by itself.  For example, if you are baling in 10th gear, you can be sitting still, and basically just shove the gear selector to 10, and it smoothly shifts itself there.

The 4455 I was driving for the neighbor, he said if standing still, shift to 1, when it engages, go to 2, when it engages go to 3, etc, etc until I get to the gear I want.  I would think the Magnum would be simpler for a stop & go job like baling.  I belive both recommend you go from a standing start with the gear selector in neutral, and use the lever to go up to your gear, instead of sitting there, holding down the clutch while tying the bale, and then letting the clutch out again in 9th gear or whatever.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

That sure wouldn't be good if round baling where you are stopping every minute or 90 seconds to wrap or tie a bale.

0 Kudos