cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

Re: High Hour 4450 VS. High hour 7220 Case

Hmm that is an interesting thought. I drove a 4755 for a farmer with the grain cart and i would shift up to 7 gear with the clutch in and then go, never seemed to have any problem engageing as far as i could tell, but you never really know what is actually happening in the transmission.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

From what I was told by the farmer (don't know where he heard it from) that if you stand on the clutch for more than a moment, like the time it takes to tie and eject a bale, you are starving the transmission of oil, and doing this enough times will cause premature wear on some transmission components.  They said when baling, you can step on the clutch to stop, but if standing still more than a couple seconds, to pull the tranny to neutral, and let the clutch out, to get the oil flowing again.

Again, this is just what I was told, and probably should be checked out with a mechanic or something, but I thought you might want to know this, just in case there was some merit to it.

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

Ok thanks for the information. We have a quad range now which works pretty decent for baleing, sometimes you could use another shift going up a hill. But usually i shift to neutral with it just due to the amount of bales we do, my leg cant stand holding the clutch in every minute and half for hours on end.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I've got a neighbor who uses a 8920 for round bailing, not sure what year it is but the last time I helped him move his equipment, it had over 12,000 hours (all from bailing) and everything on the tractor was original and untouched other than routine things.  This summer he is starting to have some issues with the hydraulic system, his end gate on bailer just opens unexpectedly, mechanic said valve body was probably the cause.  He said he would buy another one in a heartbeat, but he and the local CNH dealer (1/2 mile down the road) had a disagreement on something and he has been converting to green ever since.  The magnum is the last red paint on the yard.  To bad for dealer, he has bought around 2 million bucks worth of green paint in about 7 or 8 years.

0 Kudos