cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you make chain lengths from a roll of chain?

Hi guys, I was thinking about making my own chains now, due to the potential cost savings of making them vs buying preassembled ones (literally hundreds of dollars, and I will be replacing them each year). How do you guys go about doing this? I found something about a chain break tool, but it seems to be for bicycles?

Anything you could contribute would help.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
HMVE
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do you make chain lengths from a roll of chain?

A hammer and a good set of straight punches works good.  Lay the chain on it's side on a heavy flat iron with a hole drilled in the iron a little bigger than the pin. You will need a heavy flat washer with the same sized hole to keep from stressing the pins next to the one you are driving out. Place the pin over the hole and washer were you want to break the chain and drive the pin through the chain and down though the flat iron.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I've got a chain break tool that works on all the chains on my farm.  Believe me, it is much easier than a hammer and punch.  I don't remember what I paid for it, but I've had it for years and I know it's paid for itself.  What I do is lay the old chain next to the roll of bulk chain link for link, as long as your careful in doing this, you don't need to worry about counting links if you've got a longer chain.  Once you've made a new chain or two, it is a piece of cake.

0 Kudos
HMVE
Frequent Contributor

Ya But just think of what he will miss out on  smashed thumbs and all. :smileysurprised. 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I know what you mean HMVE.  At my place I'm known as lightning, never strikes the same place twice.  That's not good when your swinging a hammer.

0 Kudos
HMVE
Frequent Contributor

surplus Center has this one for $36 for 60 to 100 pitch  I think the one I have 25 to 50 pitch is $15

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Looks nothing like the one I have, but if it works it works.  Mine takes a 5/8" wrench to drive the pin out.

0 Kudos
HMVE
Frequent Contributor

... chain breaker for roller chains fits 3 8 1 2 5 8 pitch chain sell

maybe more like this one? 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Aha HMVE, now your on to it.  Hey, stick with me, we'll go places.

0 Kudos

What do you call that one HMVE? That would definitely go a long way to halving my chain costs.

I always pull bicycle chain breaks when I search, and it was really pissing me off.

I was thinking of the old fashioned way, but definitely shaggy's way is gonna be the easiest.

0 Kudos