cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hydraulic pump on older IH cyclo planters

I just bought this 800 cyclo 12 row, has 1000 pto pump.  Driving 2 modules, Id really like to use my newest deere, but it does not have 1000 pto.  Has anyone adapted a hydraulic pump for 2 modules driven by 540 pto? Needs to have minimum 22 gpm @ 540 rpm.  Any thoughts?  Driving with tractor hydraulics not an option for me.  Thnx

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Hydraulic pump on older IH cyclo planters

I run a 900 cyclo with the 1000 pump. To achieve the correct air pressure, pto is running about 900. Sounds like you need to add an overdrive gearbox to get the pump running fast enough, or a bigger impeller in the pump itself.
Just adding an adaptor is going to give unsatisfactory results in my opinion.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

DED - I'm with longcreek , pretty sure that the best way it to find a 540 pump and just change them out .

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

What Deere do you have that doesn't have 1000 PTO.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

A neighbor has a cyclo, with a factory 540 pump, so I know they made them that way.   Maybe a salvage yard would have one.   Looking at it, the pump appears to be similar to the 1000 PTO pump, but instead of being direct-driven, it is attatched to a gear box, that speeds it up.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Husker-J -  We had a 800 when they came out - and it had a 540 on it , matter of fact , when they did come out , there weren't many 1000 pto's around here  , I won't be surprised if the planter came out with a 540 to start with and the other owner changed to a 1,000 .

0 Kudos