cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I need a Russian combine

When the U.S. sold combines to the USSR, they required the cab have two seats.  One was for the driver or operator, the second was for the mechanics.

I've had so many breakdowns this season that I feel the need for a ride-along mechanic, thus my search for a Russian combine with the requisite two seats. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: I need a Russian combine

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger!  I've lost 2 full days over break downs.  I think a different machine is going to the top of my "next purchase" list.   When is the combine market at it's low point of the year?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

My cousin's girlfriend works at the Case New Holland combine plant in Grand Island, Nebraska.

Last time I talked to her, a few weeks ago, she said that they are way behind in their production lines, and are having to do overtime, and are looking for more workers, anyone able bodied, to help them catch up.  If I understood here right, if you order one now, it may be ready late July or so.  She also said that their new combines are 100% sold.  They are building NONE for dealer inventory, that every one they build until next spring/summer are already sold, and many are already paid for.  If you are looking towards new, you might want to be shopping already.

My dad joked that maybe he could work there, and cousin'g GF said that if he showed up tomorrow, they'd hire him. He asked what they would have a guy in his 70's do, and she said if he could push a parts cart, he'd have a job if he wanted it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Interesting about Case IH. 

The Association of Equipment Manufacturers' September 2011 report says that self-propelled combine sales are down 16.3% from that same month last year and year to date are down 6.1%. 

John Deere has even stated they will be supplying fewer combines in the U.S. in 2012 (by as much as 20%) as demand falls because there are so many used machines sitting on dealer's lots. Some are saying it's a smart strategy on Deere's part because it will keep prices up on combines.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Its so john deere can keep the prices "inflated" and they gambling on a policy change when/if a new admistration is coming home. 

and they can clean the used stuff outta the country. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

One thing to remember, there is no longer a CaseIH comine plant, and a New Holland plant.  They combined the two, and make both brands of combines side by side in Nebraska, now.  They more or less put the big rotor in one, and the twin rotors in the other.  Perhaps by running all through the same plant, they don't have the capacity they used to?  Or, perhaps orders for new ones are up that much, or perhaps both.

I do know she said that they are going to up production by 2-4 combines per crew, as soon as they get the new crew members trained, which may have already happened.  I can't remember if that was per crew per day, or per crew, per week.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Jim you are not alone.  When I had truck drivers and extra help lined up this fall I did more setting than harvesting.  Nothing major and expensive, just enough to keep the machine under a wrench.  When I was by myself, I mean cut a load and then haul a load, I was full steam ahead.  Machine went through the offseason maintenance program and not sure if it was worth it, but I've got it scheduled again for the winter service program.  Maybe the preventative programs are good for the major stuff, but the smaller items are what caused me grief this year on both wheat and sorghum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Its amazing what one little bolt will cost you in time to fix it.   Or what it will break if it continues

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Jim. I think I've decided to upgrade.  I've put more money in it the last 2 years than I can sell it for.  With no end in sight.  Seems like I have lurched from 1 crisis to another this year.   And the dealer is 50 miles.  Once I had to run to a dealer 85 miles away for a part.   Think I'll change colors to a dealer 12 miles away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

One thing about dealer maintenance programs is the customer always has the option to forgo recommended repairs.  Then when the combine goes down, the customer wonders why it did and blames the dealer.  Or the customer decides he will perform certain repairs himself and forgets to do it, until the day it breaks down.

I realize there are times when things just go bad all seson and it seems the gremlins are out in force.  Been there. 

0 Kudos