cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goldenleaf

IH 5088 Transmission trouble

My IH 5088 tractor wont move sometimes when we first get in it for the day. we can keep shifting the gears around and it will finally move but sometimes when it does we only have the odd gears not the even ones. then sometimes everything is normal. I just looking for some suggestions on what i can do to try to fix it.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: IH 5088 Transmission trouble

It is one of a few things.

It could be the oil pressure is off in the power shift.  If it has too low of pressure, it is supposed to kick out of gear, to prevent damage to the cutch pack from slipping due to the low pressure.  Since it sounds like it is worse when you first start up, I doulbt this is the problem, unless you have a very plugged hydraulic filter.

It could be a transmission pressure sensor.  If the sensor is going bad, it will give a false low pressure reading to the module, which will kick the transmission out of gear.  These are accessed by removing the plate on the floor of the cab, under where your feet would be if you were sitting in the seat.  There is no practical way to test the sensor, you can use a manual pressure guage, or just buy a new sensor, and swap it out, to see if that cures the problem.  There are two sensors involved, one for the clutch pack that controls the even numbered gears, and another for the one that controls the odd numbered gears.

It could be a bad relay in the shift module.  Remove the spring-loaded plate below the steering wheel, near the floor, and you will see on the left hand side, the shift module.  On the module itself, there are a couple relays.  If one of them is going bad, it won't make proper contact, and you will lose power to the clutch pack it controls.  Again, it is cheapest to just get a relay, and swap out one, see if it cures the problem, then swap out the other and see what happens (as opposed to a service call).

However, I'm afraid to say this, but those are the exact symptoms my 5088 had when the shift module itself went bad. 
You would start out in the morning, and instead of moving, the tractor would sit there, and the 'sentry' light would be glowing.  Sometimes, pressing the clutch ALL the way down would get you going, other times, you had to shift the powershift to the other gear, and press the clutch, and you'd be good.  Going down the field, it would sometimes shift itself down to the lower gear for no reason, or just 'let go' all together, and the sentry light would be glowing.

A new module is way overpriced to the point you swear it must be made of gold, with platinum connectors.

There is a company called Hy-Capacity, that makes a replacement for the module.  It replaces all the computer circuitry with a simple system of relays (well, simple compared to the computer).  It is wired so that you simply unplug the module, and plug this in, where the module was.  The connectors are already wired in.  The only thing you have to do, if you wish to replace the module with one of these, would be to take the wire that is 'hot' all the time from the battery, and wire it through the switch or cab relay, otherwise it will leave a relay energized, and run your battery down over time.

I've had this in my 5088 for over 10 years now, with zero problems.  The only thing to remember, is that if there is a loss of pressure, the Hy-Capacity unit will not automatically kick the tranny out of gear.  However, the sentry light, will still come on, so you know it was sensing low pressure, and can check it out. 

0 Kudos
goldenleaf

I have ordered 2 of those pressure sensors and 2 of those relays. I am gonna try those first. Thanks alot for your advice Nebrfarmr.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Good luck. 
If it winds up being the module, keep the relays, as the Hy Capacity one uses the same relays as the original IH module.  When I wired min in, new relays were optional, meaning that the standard kit assumes you will re-use the relays off the original module. 

0 Kudos
goldenleaf

I replaced the pressure sensors and the relays but neither fixed the problem. So i have ordered the shift module.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I just helped a neighbor with the same problem, and it took the module.

The IH module was quoted around $1200, the aftermarket one from Hy-Capacity was under $300.

0 Kudos
kim wcil
Senior Reader

It's been a few years since I owned my 5288 but as I recall occasionally I'd have to wiggle a fuse in the panel beneath the center console so as to make a better connection. That would always get the thing to move.
0 Kudos