cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

IH ahhc

New to me 1986 1680 w 22.5 1020 header, after activating ahhc and pushing ''down'' switch and releasing it, header goes all the way up.. They were a pair so I assume that they have worked properly before. All linkages, cables, shafts etc are clean and free. When I unplug the potentiometer it does the exact same thing.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: IH ahhc

Does it do it on all height settings? 

We have a 1440, so it may be different, but if you set it at maximum height, it will do the same thing.

I guess you could check the wiring under the cab.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Friend

On IHC and Case combines through the 2588, the center sensor is height only, if you have auto contour the left and right sensors control this fuction only not height. check the power at the sensor, the terminal is marked A,B,C, A should be possative voltage, C should be ground and B is reference voltage sent back to the system to tell the combine to raise and lower the head. This system on your combine runs on a 8 volt system, newer ones work on a 5 volt system.

If you have votage at the sensor back probe the B terminal to see if there is reference voltage, if so move the wand up and down to see if the voltage changes with possition. if it does not the sensor is bad if it does change then you have a wiring issue or header controller issue which is very common on the early electronic header controls.

Make sure thast you check the wiring that runs through the header frame, mr mouse likes to chew that up in the winter and could be the issue also...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

1 time the cable & turnbuckle that hooks to the potentiometer on the head got flipped past center & was throwing the opposite stroke it was supposed to on me, seems like it just wanted to be clear up when that happened. Easy to check & try to see if that fixes it, mine just got caught or bumped wrong when changing heads. Look at where the cable is making the arm travel & try moving it down past center & travel on opposite side, sounds to dumb to be solution but it did happen to me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks guys. Turns out two wires from the header height dial were chewed off.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

..Isn't that the way it always is? First time you take the combine out of the barn, if something doesn't work, you can almost always blame it on a mouse. These newer tractors and combines (and planters, sprayers, and everything else controlled by wire) are just going to get worse. I don't know if I want the headache...I've been looking for a new planter..but I don't want to have three controllers (computers) on one just to operate the toolbar heighth.....

0 Kudos