cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

IH style closing wheels on a JD planter?

I was debating whether or not to buy a Case IH early riser type of closing system for my JD 7200 planter. I have been researching different closing systems for a while and seem to like the IH style closing system the best. Have any of you run this type of modification on your planters? If you have, do notched blades improve performance? The reason I ask is because the smooth blades are a little cheaper. I believe John Deere calls this system cotton closers, but I would probably order from Shoup. Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: IH style closing wheels on a JD planter?

I would think you`d want to have a tru-vee seed trench that would cut that nice tight V shape for the seed that would come from smooth blades.   Then have Yetter cleaners in front if it`s alot of residue.  but the CIH closing wheels are "pulled" on the planter, that must be the edge that they have over JD or Kinze that`s "pushed", this guy has a good explaination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QvEziIMWSg

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: IH style closing wheels on a JD planter?

Thanks for the video BA. I really like my JD planter, but I hate the closing system on JD planters. The spike closing systems work great until your tail pieces get out of center and then they can throw seed out of the trench. I just don't want to worry about that. I farm with the best of the 1980's and 90's. In the 1980's and 90's Case had a bad reputation with the cyclo planters, but it looks like they have fixed some of the flaws. 

0 Kudos