cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

International 8100 with L-10 Cummins

Im looking at an International 8100 with an L-10 Cummins engine. Its a day cab twin screw truck. Im wanting to pull up to a 34' grain trailer with it. Hows it going to run with this. Also it has a 10spd eaton fuller transmission in it. Ive had an NTC -350 once and pulled 650 bushels with more then enough power. How is the L-10 Cummins motor?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idalivered
Advisor

Re: International 8100 with L-10 Cummins

I have an L9000 ford with an l-10. I had the frame stretched and put on a grain box. The l-10 is ok for a tandem, but would definitely not be enough power for a 42' trailer. you'd probably fall somewhere in between. I farm where it is relatively flat and have enough gears to come out of a field with a load. Mostly very short hauls. I'd say a little low on the hp side. good luck

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

It depends on a lot of factors. Is the rear end ratio in the 3.90-4.11 range? Are there 11-22.5 standard profile tires..or low profile..or 11-24.5? Is the horsepower on it rated at 300+? This motor won't have as much torque as the NTC350..because you've got approximately 200 less cubic inches. On the other hand..it doesn't weigh as much so you can put 250 lbs. more payload on. If the 10 speed has an overdrive...you'll never use it with a load..unless you happen to be going downhill. Do you have to be the first guy to the elevator in the morning?...or are you willing to get up 5 minutes earlier to beat the crowd....It's that kind of decision. It will be a nice little truck...provided you don't expect to pull hills all day or need to pull 100,000 loads at more than 65 MPH.....

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

It is rated in the 280 to 300 range on horsepower. The tires are 11-24.5, not sure what the gear ratio is though. At this point in time its only going to hauling about 15,000 bushels a year to town which is never more then 15 miles. Also pulling gooseneck cattle trailer. BUT i dont want to buy a truck and be maxed out right away. We are looking at adding to on farm storage to haul to a terminal then we are looking at hour and half drives. I think i might look at an M-11 Cummins with upwards of 350 just to give us a little more expansion room.

0 Kudos
onebigbyrd
Veteran Contributor

m11 is defintly an upgrade from an l10.  why not go ahead and get a 60 series detroit 12.7 liter very good engine some are rated 500 hp

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

I like the smaller truck that the international provides. Its a simple truck with a short nose and a shortwheel base. We will also be useing it to pull our bale trailer and gooseneck cattle trailer so it wont look ridiculous pulling those but can still turn into pastures and small gates.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I like the idea of a short truck too...it's easier to get your load up to the front axle..and the fifth wheel doesn't have to be so far forward. On the other hand..you have to be careful when you get one of those rains after 4 weeks of dry weather in the summer..and go to turn a sharp corner. Because there isn't as much leverage between the front and back axles...those short trucks will slide the front end out into the other lane of traffic when you're making a turn from even a stop sign. An L10...or an M-11 are a nice choice in that choice..because of the fact they're a smaller motor..and you don't need quite as big of a dog house in the cab...although..if you need to pull a head..it gets kinda tricky..because the smaller Cummins head is one piece..rather than 3 piece like the bigger 855 motor...

0 Kudos