cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcorn1259562

JD 1760

Looking at buying a JD 1760 12 row planter. Any known problems with these planters? Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
greenpower
Contributor

Re: JD 1760

I'm a tech for a John Deere dealer in central Nebraska and our store has had 2 of these planter bars break in half.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

I had one that I purchased  when it was 3 years old and just trade it for another new one. the monitor on the one I traded said that it had planted 19000+ acres. I've said this before but here goes, i like the folding bar, I like the markers, I like that I can put my starter tanks on the planter and not the tractor. I like the transmission. The spacing is ok if you don't drive too fast. my new one will have the new 40 cell plates(i think that;'s what they are) so we'll see. I've heard and agree that the white metering system is excellent and probably superior to the jd. I'll guess with ya'. Lastly, I still think the row unit on the cih is superior to all the others. Had 3 cih planters and liked that part. good luck to you.

0 Kudos
pcorn1259562

Did they break in the same place and where on the bar did they break?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
greenpower
Contributor

they broke by the wing hindge

0 Kudos
4wd
Senior Contributor

Mine broke lose at the center hinge too. Bad factory welds- no penetration. It was well out of warranty, so I got to eat that bill. I still like that planter, though.

0 Kudos
lvSIowa
Contributor

ok, planter falls apart in the field, but you sure like it. makes perfect sense.

0 Kudos
4wd
Senior Contributor

If it breaks lose again at the hinge it will go down the road, for a brand new one just like it.

Best corn planter I have ever owned. I just hope Deere has re-assigned that hinge welder to some other job. I hate wire welds. A poor stick welding job would be visible, with these pretty, smooth wire welds you don't know what is underneath them.

0 Kudos
lvSIowa
Contributor

best one.. I can see you are speaking from experience.

Deere knew these things were failing all along and still haven't changed anything. As long as gullible guys will spend money on it why change.enjoy..

0 Kudos
cliff seia
Contributor

We had a 12 row front fold 7200 planter that the hitch pulled off of in the field due to Deere's horrible weld quality and I've had to reweld a few spots on our 24 row 1770 because of bad welds too.  These planter's have some of the worst welding I've ever seen on a factory built item but once that issue is addressed they have been very good planters for us. 

One thing I would suggest if your looking at a 1760 with vaccum meters is to get eSet disks for corn.

0 Kudos