cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JD 4555 VERSUS 4560

Trying to decide between buying a 4555 or 4560. Does anyone know the main difference between these 2 tractors and if either one had any mechanical issues to look out for? Thanks for the info in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: JD 4555 VERSUS 4560

The only big difference is that the 60 series moved the air intake under the hood & moved the exhaust to the right cab post.   Even though the door post is still in the way it gives you a lot better visibility.  The entry stairs/platform is better on the 60 series.   Spec wise they are exactly the same.  We have a 4760 & it has been trouble free thru 4000 hours, other than we replaced the seals in the MFWD.  Great tractor!

0 Kudos
plowboy361
Friend

I currently have a 60 series in the shop getting an in frame.  Before deere pulled the pan they told me that on the 55 and 60 series they changed a housing that holds a seal in place between the engine and rearend.  They had trouble overtime with some of the seals walking backwards and falling out and dumping the engine oil in the rearend.  Most times it happened of coarse while using it in the middle of the day thus ruining the engine.  Found one local guy that caught it. Checked his fluids in the morning  His motor oil was low and hydraulic oil was almost black.   He called deere and they saved the motor, but in order to get the updated housing u have to split the tractor.  When they pulled my pan the seal had not moved.  Pan must be removed to see the seal, my 60 series has 7000 hrs on it.  I am not getting the updated housing, very pricey to split a mfd tractor, that's the risk i will take.  Also found out deere recommend changing the balancer on the front of the crank at about 4-5000 hours.  The way they are designed, hard to explain without actually seeing it, there is a rubber dampener of sorts that wears out.  Put mine beside a new one and mine was in bad shape.  There is also some type of intake update under the hood on a 60 series mine has it.  Suppose to help keep air cleaner from plugging faster.  I believe they changed something under the hood that had to do with air intake and had some unintended consequences.  Hope this helps you out.  Oh ya I plan on keeping my 60 series.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I always thought it was a cosmetic move to make the 60 series.  Move the stack and breather off the hood in transition to the 8000 series.  Deere has always came out with transition equipment.  The 60 series before the 8000 series.  The 10 series combines before the STS models about 10 years back.  The most recent combines were preceded by the 70 series, which were minimal change from the 60 series.  Even back to the 720 then 730's and others in that 30 series.  Just enough change to spur buying while the remodels are being made.  Deere is still the only stand alone company after all these years not only because of reliability, their success is rooted in marketing and parts availability.

0 Kudos