cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

JD 7700 PTO dead--Bad solenoid?

PTO operation was getting unreliable.  Switch and dash lights seem to be OK.  RPM registered when it tried to operate.  Has anyone had to replace the solenoid at the back of the tractor?  Will try to get grandson to sit on the seat and turn knob while I check voltage to solenoid, I guess.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Advisor

Re: JD 7700 PTO dead--Bad solenoid?

I had a 2002 McCormick tractor that acted in a similar fashion.  Sometimes it would work, sometimes not.  It turned out to be 1 of 2 solenoids inside the rearend housing.  Dealer took it apart and replaced them both.  Cost of solenoids was maybe 50 bucks but with labor was over 1K.  Hope yours is all fixable externally.

0 Kudos
Contributor

PTO worked about 15 times today but not when I needed it.  Dealer can figure it out.  Thought it was bad chassis ground/broken wire.  CCU might go intermittent also.  RPM sensor and solenoid works when it gets voltage and/or a good grnd.  This is why I keep several 30 yr+ old tractors around.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Dealer discovered a weak intermittant performing relay.  He hoped it wasn't going to be computer since there has been several issues with them.  Got off easy ($$$) this time.  Am beginning to understand the quirks of these things more and more.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Well, that fix didn't last long.  Ended up with an $830 CCU and another switch to make it work plus more labor.

0 Kudos