cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

JD 7720 tips wanted

I just switched from a lifetime of silver combines to a Deere 7720.  Any tips from you guys that know these machines would be appreciated.  It has new feeder house chain, cylinder bars, and sieves.  Expect to be running 45-50 bpa beans and 120-140 bpa corn.  TIA  

It's an '88 Titan II.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: JD 7720 tips wanted

First cousin traded a 1460 for a 7720 and traded back to red after three years. Couldn't keep straw walkers in it. It seemed to be way more difficult to set up as well. That being said I thought they did a great job as far as grain sample and other things. But if I remember right the straw walkers were the only thing we fought with, pretty decent machine, just take your time setting it up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

One thing on this series of combine is the large counter shaft bearings behind the cab. 1800 hrs. seems to be about time to watch for. Have seen some go a lot longer though. Nice to catch bad bearing before shaft gets damaged!! Good luck, they are a pretty good machine!! jps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Would those be the ones you reach by removing the seat and the plate behind the seat of the cab?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Friend

Ours had almost 5k separator hours on it bEfore we spun a bearing on the bottom end....we had trouble with final drives loosening up then along with the auger pan breaking out and straw walkers fell out....... But ours was pretty hammered when we got it
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes, those would be the ones I'm talking about. One good tool is a temperature gun.  To see what I'm talking about, go to "northern tool" and look at item 715501. Not recommending any particular one, just showing examples.  This is one way to check bearings. There are rubber bushings holding the grain pan.  Make sure they are good.  Having a "deere" guy check the machine out is a good idea. Hard to beat experience. Make sure final drives has the correct amount of lube. Pipe plug on the final drive.  I could go on and on, any unusual noise while running in field usually means some thing could be wrong.   Any more questions, just ask!!    jps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Thanks.  The dealer went thru it last winter.  I cut about 30 acres of beans last week with it inbetween rains and it worked fine except the head wants to jump up and down on the 2 and 3 setting.  Works fine on the # 1 setting.  Dealer coming out this week to check it out.  I moved the black box on the right side of the head all around but it didn't make a difference.  It sure does a nicer job than my Gleaners ever did.  Wonder why I ever waited so long to switch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

JD increased the speed of the walkers and cleaning shoe on the Titans in an attempt to increase capacity  This was too fast and these combines shook themselves apart.  You need to change one sprocket on the shoe/walker drive back to the pre-Titan size before it does any more damage.  Should be a good dependable machine otherwise.

0 Kudos